Taxation in France 2004 - The Book

Jon 1

Is Taxation in France 2004, by Charles Parkinson worth £25?  I ask this question to some of you who may have read it?

I note that it is not to be revised for 2005, yet the price remains the same!!

I am already familiar with the basics and can trawl the Internet for other information.  There is also this useful site.  So is it really worth the money?  Alternatively is there more than £25 worth of money saving advice available.

Are there any other tax books in English that you would recommend?

i bought it before i came in 2001  and rang for a little explanation but was given the cold shoulder as the lady told me it was for private companies work only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she did not ask if i had£ 1-2 to invest.

to be honest i dont have but i think if you have little money to live on then a visit to tax office is very useful-whether you decide to be taxed here or continue with u.k.tax.

it can be beneficial for a couple of persons to pay locally as i found out.

It is the only English language book on French taxation which I have found. It is a statement of rules rather than a guide to saving tax but explanations on treatment of annuities, pensions and agricultural profits could payback the price. Given a limited potential market and versus other textbooks it is not bad value. Reading it before visiting an accountant would be well worthwhile.

Probably the best £25 you could spend, I found the book to be accurate where other books are not, and it allows you to calculate your income tax, social charges and health charges.

It also dispels many of the urban myths about what is taxed where, when do you become tax resident etc. As SB says you do not have the right to choose where you are taxed.

In terms of advice I used them to establish wether or not pension lump sums are taxable and whilst the advice was not cheap I still feel that it was money well spent and a professional service.

Surely you can decide where to be taxed if you are retired in france and only receive uk pension. As  long as you make a declaration then double taxation agreement made between the u.k. and france is upheld. I know 2 peoplle who pay uk tax and have been here for 12 years.

if you are working in france then i agree you will have to be taxed locally.

sorry for anymisunderstanding.

UK government pensions are taxed in the UK and declared in France, private pensions, company pensions and UK state or old age pensions are taxed in France. In every case a French tax return is required.

If you are a French tax resident then there is no choice.

Your friends are either being paid government pensions, are tax evaders, live here for less than 183 days a year and maintain a Uk home or are telling porkies!

The point i was trying to make was that if you have company and old age pensions you can pay tax in uk or france.however you must do a french tax return and let them know how much you receive and amount of tax as there is double taxation agreements between both countries. i found it was slightly less tax here and opted to tell uk i would like rebate and i declared this to french office who in turn collected the tax locally.