Cost of living in France?

tonyfitz

My wife and I are about to relocate to France upon retirement. I am trying to gather as much information as I can on tax issues and cost of living (ie normal outgoings on a monthly basis)

I would welcome any information on typical monthly costs for living in a property valued at say 180000 euros or thereabouts. I understand there are a number of different taxes associated with house ownership. I would like information on costs per month for the following:-

Taxation in connection with house ownership...

Electricity

Gas

Water

Health

Telephone

Television

any other day to day costs.

Any response greatly appreciated.

We had this same thread some couple of months ago inthe French Property section. Have a look through the archives there because no one can give you an exact amount as we are all different circumstances especially type and size of property and location, health insurance and electricity usuage. What I will tell you is that France is no longer as cheap as it was five or even ten years ago,everything is going up and up every few months and petrol/diesel is currently very very expensive compared to 18months ago,hence heating fuel the same.

Hi - yes we need to know where you are moving to as 180K buys a small house/apartment in some areas or a five bed farmhouse with land in others.

We are in rural Charente and our taxes (equivalent to rates) are a quarter of what we paid in Hertfordshire (both houses three beds). Our heating (wood and oil), insurances and wine are also cheaper but everything else is comparable or more expensive. I think it would be difficult to live in a small centally heated house, pay top-up health insurance and run a car, to survive (and enjoy life) on less than 15K per annum and that's pushing it!!

Now I await the flak!!

Good luck anyway.

Zeb - I would agree with your figure of £15K pa minimum. We have found running vehicles a big expense, If you live in the country you really need a main car plus a backup van or some such, as there's no public transport. Pat.

[quote]Zeb - I would agree with your figure of £15K pa minimum. We have found running vehicles a big expense, If you live in the country you really need a main car plus a backup van or some such, as there's ...[/quote]

Yes.I agree too.You will find people who exist on less but really we are talking quality of life here and whilst you can mega- economise for a short while if necessary,do you want to spend your whole life doing it?I am sure there are people who have less,and no doubt they manage well but do you want to have to count every euro? It is not "cheap" to live in France,similar to Uk with the odd exception- "rates"( tax fonc. and hab.) are cheaper than UK but as TU stated they can vary tremendously,many people ( I am one) still have to pay a 4 figure amount.Wine's still cheaper though and bottled water

Those coming here from the UK with a very good retirement package will fare a lot better than younger working brits here and the locals of the same retirment age financially unless they were former Parisien company chiefs etc. I sit on the local CCAS board and have noticed this year so far a huge increase inthe number of local residents asking for more and more financial aid from the mairie and they are all ages and circumstances too. as I was shocked when I saw who was applying thinking they were pretty well off.Many need help to pay for elderly relatives health care in hospitals and retirement homes which locally here costs the patient 45€ per day without treatment and for school fees out of the dept.