Travellers cheques

cs

I want to put around 3,000 euros into my credit agricole account.   I thinking of getting travellers cheques to this amount and paying them in when I get there.  Does anyone know if there is a charge for paying in TCs as it seems this may be cheaper than doing the usually bank to bank transfer with costs of around 35.00.  My credit agricole account no longer accepts cash would travellers cheques fall into the cash category.

By the way in case anyone is not aware the best rates available always seem to be Marks and Spencers that's if you have one of the larger stores in your area.

Look forward to your replies, thanks, Chris

You should be able to make a 'Low Value Cross Border Tansfer'  for between £ 7 and £ 11 depending on your bank with no charges at the receiving end. You need to ask you bank and be push but they do exist.

I am not sure how much purchase commision is on Travellers Cheques these days but you should check. 

A lot of rural banks in France will often refuse to accept cheques of any kind if they are not recognised so I would personally contact my bank first and ask if your travellers cheques would be accepted. I paid in a fancy looking Nat West Euro cheque into our local CMB and they didn't want to accept it at first never having seen such a thing and the cashier didn't know the name Nat West either but in the end they accepted it with the proviso it could come back. Always check first if not sure with anything legal in France ,saves a lot of disappointment in the long run.