Big Brother

Val_2

After sixteen years of banking with CA we have received a form today "Déclaration sur l'honneur justification de la qualite de residence fiscale". Basically asking us to declare that we are fiscally domiciled here in France, our nationalité and family details of who lives with us. Seems to me there will be a lot of people "found out" when they too receive these forms and the info goes elsewhere regarding their declarations and incomes they are keeping quiet about. No other bank has yet sent us one of these forms so wonder if other CA customers have received one as well.

Its all part of the new EU rules to clamp down on tax evasion. Many banks now require you to prove to which tax authority you pay your impots.

If you don't do this then a penal tax rate will be applied to any interest received.

If you claim to pay tax in the UK, then the French bank will pass on details to the UK. This additional bureaucracy is one of the reasons why some UK banks will no longer allow non-residents to keep an account in the UK. You may recall that some people on here have been told they must close their UK accounts when they move to France.

Good to see that as usual my old friends CA are at the back of the field. INGdirect started this in March this year

We had that back in July from our CA. Nothing from Société Générale yet though. One of the conspiracy theorists at our own forum was convinced they were being sent only to British-origin account holders suspected of working au noir. You have obviously disproved that theory, Val.

I hope so Will, been filing tax and TVA returns for years so they know that not to be case. Actually reading the explainatory letter with this form it makes a real point down at the bottom RH side next to the signature of the sender "pour les femmes mariées originaires du Royaume Uni fournir également un justicatif du nom de jeune fille". What about other nationalities then? Anyway we've nothing to hide so will get this back pronto.