House Prices

dragon

Hi

Does anyone know if there is a website in France where you can view the prices of all properties that change hands, like the ones there are in the UK?. In the UK you can search by town or post code or street and it gives a real insight into the value of property .

In France, data is usually collected by each Mairie (town hall) about what houses sell for per square metre in their area.  You can go to the Mairie of the area that you are interested in and ask.  You could ask a local estate agent.

Once you know the average rate per sqaure metre, you have to make adjustments for a particular house - swimming pool up, termites down etc.

There was a recent article in the French Property News about the national average.  I can't remember what the average was.

http://www.french-property.com/newsletter/

[quote user="Cathy"]

In France, data is usually collected by each Mairie (town hall) about what houses sell for per square metre in their area. [/quote]

Really? I with the big panda on this one, as far as I know, there are no records that are easily accessible of house or land prices prices and I don't see how the local Mairies or Hotel de Villes would know the prices per hectare or metre,  how would they get the information?

If the Notaires or Immobiliers do complete something for the Mairies, why would they want to know about prices anyway?  Surely all they want to know is who owns it.

Maybe the tax offices get a record of sales but would that go to the Mairie and why?   Maybe Mrs Will can give the definitive answer.

In my area, there are three Mairies that I can get to easily.  All three have this data readily available.  The people who do the cadastre compile the info.  Perhaps it's not available elsewhere?  I'll do a search on this.

EDIT 

Called on my nearest Mairie but person who gives me this data is away this week.  Found a website with data collected from numerous properties.

http://vendre.seloger.com/prix-immobilier.htm

Also found article in French Property News:

http://www.french-property.com/reference/buying_a_property_in_france/price_per_meter.htm/

Would like to know if other Mairies collect this info.

Hi!

You can get information of the average prices on the regional site of the Notaires ( quite some details for Paris and Ile de France ).

However I would like to draw your attention that this can be pretty misleading for a valuation. There are too many factors which are important, where you do not get any sort of information.

Yours,

giantpanda

I remember reading somewhere (in the Rustica I think ) that there is now a website giving sale prices of recently sold agricultural land throughout France.

But sorry, that's not what the OP asked. And I don't have the link.  [:$] Others might be interested though.

[quote user="Cathy"]

http://vendre.seloger.com/prix-immobilier.htm [/quote]

That site is interesting and IMHO gives quite an accurate idea of price for a standard non-luxury house - ie like our rented home - with a normal-sized garden; well it seems to for our area anyway. If prices keep falling like this site indicates we might be able to afford to buy a house any year now! [:)]

Sue

The English sites referred to in the first post are based on land registry data and give the actual selling prices, and dates of sale, of individual houses.

There is nothing exactly like this in France. Actual selling prices are known only to those involved in the transaction. Data compiled by the notaires and estate agency bodies like FNAIM is used to establish trends and things like an average price per square metre for departements, cantons, and sometimes communes (where sufficient sales have taken place for a figure to be established). This is the data published on sites like www.immonot.com and www.fnaim.fr . There is also a book, available to notaires and estate agents, which gives price per square metre by commune. But as giantpanda says, there are so many variables that such data cannot sensibly be used to achieve a valuation. What data there is can work reasonably well for apartments, but not for houses and land. And whereas in England there are usually houses of similar size and type - even the same design - that can be referred to through the land registry database in order to obtain a true value, this is seldom the case in France.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

If the Notaires or Immobiliers do complete something for the Mairies, why would they want to know about prices anyway?  Surely all they want to know is who owns it.  [/quote]

I've just asked a contact at the Mairie - it is because they own land and buildings in the commune.