Tax d'habitaion

sam

I wonder if anyone can help, We have just received a Notification D'Avis A Tiers Detenteur from our local Tresor Public in respect of non payment of our tax d'habitaion.

We moved house in the UK last year and duly notified all the services of the change of address . We received and paid our taxe fonciere but didn't receive the tax demand for the tax d'habitaion.

On receipt of the Notification D'Avis a teirs detenteur(Saturday) we have paid the amount stated on the document directly to the local Tresor Public.

My question is does anyone know what the impact of receiving the notification is and do we need to take any further action.

Tahnk you in advance for any feed back.

You will find that your bank has removed the money from your account into a "imprest" account (and charged you for the priveledge). If after 60 days they hear nothing, they will pay the money to the claimant (the Tresor Public), if the Tresor advises them that you have paid they will refund the impress (less the charges, 60€ in the case of CA).

Check your bank account!

I have had this problem on several occasions (for much the same reason and due to the fact that our local TP is incompetant), and have spend several hours trying to recover my 60€'s. I am 60€ down at the moment...

BTW, yes "they" can take money from your account without your knowledge/approval...

Hi Nick

Thanks very much for the info. On the notification it mentions that the Teirs Detenteur is Credit Agricole but we don't bank with CA. Is CA the impress account.  We bank with a small private bank in Paris and I'm not sure that the TP have the details.

We did send a cheque for the outstanding amount to the local TP 3 day's ago, I would hope they have recived it today.

Thanks

It also works, if you are employed in France, by the TP writing to your boss and asking him to pay it direct to them from your end of month salary or part of. I know because we had an employee who never paid his income tax and we used to have to send so much every month from his wage until it was paid. Don't underestimate the TP not knowing about your private account, they,URSSAF and all government agencies here KNOW everything and have the right to go where they want as well,you would be surprised and you cannot hide anything here either.

I too have tried chasing the tax d'habitation bill., whilst no-one particularly wants to pay it, the thought of baliffs knocking on the door is just too much to contemplate.  Previous year we didnt have to pay as the place was being renovated.  Have been to the hotel de ville, spoken to an official and sent off the revlevant paperwork signed by myself and completed by the main contractor and that was November.  Even tax fornciers hasnt arrived - they'll probably cart me off!!

• 3 weeks later...

This is something we are confused about as well [*-)] We bought our house last June(2005) and as yet have not received any tax d'habitation bill etc.

should we have by now??

I read something that made me think that as we were not the owners/occupiers on 1st Jan 2005 the bill would have gone to the previous owner[*-)]

Can anyone tell me when we should/should have receieved a bill and if we should already have and have not ... what do we do?????

We moved into our house in May last year.  In October, the notaire sent me a copy of the tax fonciere and I gave her a cheque for my share to pass on to the previous owner.  He'd already paid the tax d'habitation as he was the resident on January 1.  I'm expecting this years bills in September/October.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

We moved into our house in May last year.  In October, the notaire sent me a copy of the tax fonciere and I gave her a cheque for my share to pass on to the previous owner.  He'd already paid the tax d'habitation as he was the resident on January 1.  I'm expecting this years bills in September/October.

[/quote]

Does that mean we have got away with them both for last year then? (tax d'habitation and tax fonciere )?

We have found the easiest way to get around the problem is to set up a direct debit.  Our bank, Credit Agricole, transfers the demanded amount, some 80 euros pcm for both D'habitation and fonciere, without any grief for 10 months.  As of this year the amount includes the additional cost of a TV license.

''That'll do donkey''

• 2 weeks later...

We have a property that we completed on in November 2005 but as it was not habitable on the 1st Jan due to not having Fosse,water,etc we were informed by our agent that tax would not be liable. I hope this is correct ??

From speaking to several other people it does seem that the Habitation bills have a habit of never arriving in the mail. But I do know that if your address was in the UK, at the time of purchasing your French house, that the UK address is on the Habitation and Foncieres statements. You therefore need to ensure that either you notify the Tresor Public to change the addresses or make sure that your mail to your UK address is properly forwarded.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Chezstevens"]

We have found the easiest way to get around the problem is to set up a direct debit.  Our bank, Credit Agricole, transfers the demanded amount, some 80 euros pcm for both D'habitation and fonciere, without any grief for 10 months.[/quote]

We bought our house in France at the end of Nov 2005, so in theory no taxe foncière or taxe d'habitation to pay until October this year. However, rather than be hit by a whopping bill in October, is there a way we can start to pay it by monthly prélèvement now? This is the first time I've heard anyone mention payment by direct debit, so thought I'd ask...

Rob