No bill for Taxe d'Habitation

Llantony

We bought our house in 2003 and have received bills for Taxe Foncieres but not for Taxe d'Habitation.  

2 years ago I went to the Tresor Public in the village with a friend who'd had an overdue for Taxe d'Habitation (the original went to Australia, the reminder to France!).  I said we hadn't received a bill and the official checked his computer for our name/address, it wasn't there and he just shrugged his shoulders.  Didn't suggest we should contact someone to sort it out..

It seems TF bills come from the Departement but TH from the village and somehow we weren't registered when we bought the house.  Presumably the vendor was - he was there 16 years - so it's a mystery that it wasn't transferred. 

We have now had a TH bill for the garage we bought last year - 65 euros.  So we can't pretend we don't know we're liable for TH on the house (which is a 2nd home).  What to do?  Don't want to suddenly get a huge bill - with overdue penalties.

Is TF usually more or less than TF?

Bewildered, 82.

TH and TF bills are generated by your centre des impots - the tresor public is merely the collector of the money. 

In terms of determining who is the person responsible for payment, this is normally achieved though the annual French tax declaration form which has a section where you confirm you were resident on 1 January.  However, as you aren't tax resident in France , this "trigger" did not take place.

You need to visit your tax office and sort things out.

The bills aren't issued by  the Tresor Public, they just collect what they are told, hence the shrug.

The bills come from the Hotel Des Impots.

The address will be shown on the bills. Its usually in the nearest largish town rather than your own village. You can visit (easiest) , ring or even email them an enquiry. The details are on the bill for the garage, right hand page. Look for Renseignements et Reclamations then  Sur Le Calcul . The email will be something like [email protected]

Thanks for replies. 

Emailing would be easiest though (if the notaire is anything to go by, also local tourist office and a hotel) the French tend to ignore them.  For the first time we won't be going to France in December so won't actually be there again till Easter.

Just paid mine today, they sent the bills to the UK agian. I have told them a number of times that I live here permanently and have no interests in the UK. I have now completed a RIB so that they take the money from my account and then they can send the bill where they like. One of the bills was only 44 euros, does not seem worth it.

We bought  our house in 2004. We pay fonciere, and have completed

an impot return, but still not taxe d'hab for us either! I have emailed

and written to them, both last year and this!! Once we receive a bill I

set up a 'direct debit' equivalent and all is fine.

But I didn't contact them about the garage, bought 2 and a half years after the house, and they managed to send a TH bill for that.  No-one ever told us to contact anyone about either tax but the TF bill has arrived through every year.  We sort of assumed that if the TF bill arrived promptly, the TH one would follow - perhaps the notaire slipped up?

We bought our house ( maison secondaire) last year . We did write to the local Impots a few months ago to inform them of change of ownership-we didn't want to get a nasty 'surprise' sometime in the future, we received the demand yesterday to our home address.