Reuters 1.9812$ to £1

Benjamin

Frankly some of my best friends are American and my only sadness about the $$$ rate is that it makes it more difficult for them to visit me here, so for every silver lining there is a cloud.

Can we get back to discussing the $$$ rate please - remember the Code of Conduct

You may not post messages which are ' insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes material sent via personal e-mails through this forum.'

[quote user="sweet 17"]

possum girl, you might like to know that in private conversations, whenever americans are slated, i do tend to defend them.  after all, they ARE the most generous nation in the world and are almost always the first to step forward offering help whenever there is some sort of catastrophe; eg the tsunami

i can only apologise again for a thoughtless remark and will be more careful in future about how my "jokes" might go down with others

[/quote]

I was probably being overly sensitive, Sweet17; really it wasn't just your comment that got me, but reaction to other things that have been said in other threads.  Apology accepted and sense of humor back in place.

PG

This isn't good news for us, either, as we still have business interests in the U.S.  If any of our projects get made, we'll be losing a fair amount of money.

I am, however, glad that we sold our house 2 years ago and got the money out then.

As to buying dollars, I would check with any of the currency exchange houses and see who is offering the best rate. You might check with the Bank of France, as I've always been given to understand that their rates are frequently the most interesting.

PG

Thanks PG.  Mr Cooperlola and I, plus a friend, are off to Florida in March to watch the Sebring 12 hour race.  On another forum - motor racing in nature - I have "met" several US citizens.  Without ever having seen them, as soon as they knew we were coming, they immediately offered tents, sleeping bags, matresses etc for camping at the circuit. OK, we will reciprocate when they come here in June, but still, the hospility and friendship offered to those they don't really know and with whom they only have  a love of sports car racing in common, is both touching and impressive.[:)]

From what they were saying on UK news the other day it is likely to get worse (i.e. lower value dollar). Their economic guy was saying that there is no real motivation by US gov. to sort it out as it makes US exports easier (cheaper to rest of world) and makes things harder for the rest of the world to sell to the US. The thing I say was a few days ago and they were saying expect a £1=$2 before Christmas and don't expect it to recover any time soon.

(just repeating what the new thing said - as I personally do not follow nor do I try and understand US $ movements).

Ian

One of the big problems with the U.S. economy is that we no longer actually manufacture much of anything.  The whole thing has been driven by real estate over the last few years, and that is in a major slowdown, so all the rest of the economy follows.

The gazillions of dollars being spent in Iraq couldn't possibly have anything to do with it...

PG

For books Barnes and Noble are pretty good and if you are happy to wait for the books, book rate is pretty reasonable, but you may need someone to do that bit for you ( I haven't looked at the options)

I like LLBean, and Lands End  (the USA site is cheaper than the UK ) I have also had stuff from JC Penney.

Anyone else with recommendations ?