MONEY TRANSFER FROM UK

lenny

• 2 weeks later...

I used HiFX to transfer the deposit and then the balance for my house purchase and it's gone very smoothly and promptly.

The account was opened by email and fax and was very simple.

If you have Internet banking in the UK you can transfer up to 10k online after which you have to go into the branch to do it.

Guess you could do 10k per day for larger amounts but haven't tried it.

www.hifx.co.uk

Lloyds but I think the 10k limit is regulatory (money laundering...yawn) so will probably be the same for other banks.

It costs a flat £20 in the bank regardless of amount so it cost me £40 total for 2x transfers (deposit & balance) to my Notaire.

Future transfers will be less than 10k so will cost nothing.

HiFX knock about 0.01 off the exchange rate which is where they make their money.

The reason I asked was that I thought that UK banks in general would not allow internet transfers to non UK banks.

I've just looked on the Lloyds TSB web site under internet banking and it only seems to be saying transfers within the UK. Am I missing something buried in the small print?

Your original posting says that you can transfer up to 10k (assuming you mean abroad) without going into the branch.

I send money each month using Natwest Low Value Payment - costs me £10 to send but means the money goes in regularly to pay the mortgages, bills etc and I don't have to do anything (except keep working to make sure there are funds in the bank :-(    ) . Not sure what the upper limit is I can send. Otherwise I have used HIFX - that can take a while to get there.

You're not sending money directly abroad.

With HiFX you phone them and agree a deal for €xxxx @ whatever the rate is at that moment, also stating where it's going to i.e. your foreign bank. This call is binding BTW so you can't change your mind afterwards so you'd better have the money ! 

They then send you an invoice confirming the sterling amount payable which you then transfer to them either online or, if the amount is <10k, via your UK bank branch, and upon recieipt they forward the €, simple.

Both my transfers took no more than about 7 days and the 2nd was arranged on Dec 21st. but they do say allow 10 -14 days to be safe.

I have no experience of any other similar brokerage outfits but I imagine they all work in much the same way.

As posted on other posts on this subject:- Nationwide Flex account we can withdraw up to 400 euros per day from this account whilst in France at no charge. They also give an excellent exchange rate. Last time in Nov we were getting the 1.48 as was being quoted on the Beeb/CNN etc.We now withdraw almost on a daily basis whilst in France then make a cash deposit into our account. So over 7/14 days we can deposit several thousand euros at no charge and excellent rate.

We have now opened 2 account 1 for me 1 for wife.

Obviously this is not ideal for everyone but so far it works for us.

I bank with Barclays and can only move £1000.00 in one day.  They don't charge me anything for making online payments.  I use www.xe.com they charge me approx £8.00, but its the same for £10.00-£10000.00.  They are a Canadian bank I think, I make the payment to their UK branch and they do the rest.  All my correspondance with them is in Canada, so there is a bit of a time difference.  I have been using them for 3 years and have never had a problem with them.

I too get a very good rate.  For example, todays rate is 1.5096, I will get 1.489.

[quote user="jxedwards"]

As posted on other posts on this subject:- Nationwide Flex account we can withdraw up to 400 euros per day from this account whilst in France at no charge. They also give an excellent exchange rate. Last time in Nov we were getting the 1.48 as was being quoted on the Beeb/CNN etc.We now withdraw almost on a daily basis whilst in France then make a cash deposit into our account. So over 7/14 days we can deposit several thousand euros at no charge and excellent rate.

We have now opened 2 account 1 for me 1 for wife.

Obviously this is not ideal for everyone but so far it works for us.

[/quote]Yep, on Wednesday I got 1.492 from the Nationwide!

Initially, yes, you need a UK address, but since I have moved, I have kept the account on with no problems.  Statements, cards etc are all sent here.  I always advise anybody moving here/or spending a lot of time abroad, to open a Nationwide account first.

The whole of Mr Cooperlola's pension is paid into the N/W and we just get euros out of the machine for day-to-day expenses.  Positively the cheapest way I have found yet.

[quote user="Linda P"]We now have the opposite problem- OH employed by French firm and paid into the French bank account in Euros- anybody know the best way to transfer funds back to England!!? Have a Nationwide Flexaccount here and can highly recommend them as before[/quote]Find somebody local to you in France who wants £ perhaps ?

I too have a both NW current A/C & Credit Card both specifically taken out for foreign use, now if only it worked as a Carte Blue...!