Taxe fonciere and taxe d'habitation

c1mls

[quote user="miaviv"]I would assume this would apply only if you "declared" the shower room. 
[/quote]

Or retrospectively when you sell the house and the notaire notes that the facilities do not tally with the form H1 declarations, or again retrospectively when the next Permis de Construire for the property is submitted, or when they come to inspect the fosse septic to give it approval or .............

Non-declaration is a dodgy business at best.

[quote user="andyh4"]

Non-declaration is a dodgy business at best.

[/quote]Exactly and basically the point of my question about how much extra the tax went up.

Whilst there are undoubtedly those who would pull every trick in the book to save €5 P/A, for an additional 10% or say €40 or €50 it's simply not worth the potential aggro.

Damn right it's dodgey and when it surfaces during the sale, as it surely will, any buyer with an ounce of savvy will insist that the back taxes are paid by the vendor so what have you saved, nothing.

The difference with the frech is that the ywill probably live in the same house for decades if not between generations and stand some chance of getting away with it whereas properties bought by expats are sold on on a much more frequent basis

Bear in mind also that if you make a deliberately false declaration to avoid the tax there could be very serious consequences. I can't imagine the French authorities taking any more sympathetic view of that then they would in the UK.

Yes: it is my understanding that any and all outstanding debts against a property can be passed to a new owner.

Care to confirm this SD ? 

EDIT:

[quote user="Debra"]I doubt he'll want to risk doing anything illegal and I'm sure they don't think it is illegal[/quote]I'm afaid there's no delicate way to put this Debra but regrettably "ex Policeman" carries very little weigh in many quarters these days however, if your neighbour is indeed a paragon of honesty and integrity, he will have absolutely no hesitation in telling the truth up front and paying any dues. Ignoring it, or worse, deliberately lying about it, will simply be out of the question.

Additionally, unless he's done it all himself, I hope he's used registered Artisans for the work, it's illegal to have work done "on the black" and you can be heavily fined if caught, but again of course, I'm sure no "ex Policeman" would ever contemplate doing such a thing.............[Www]

I'll accept you judgement that he is "olde world" as you say Debra but at the same time I'm afraid it sounds as if he's fallen into the same denial mindset that seems to affect so many Brits abroad, and not just in France.

For sure the French can have an quirky and individualistic way of dealing with things and often the rules are interpreted creatively however it still beats me why some people who, in UK were fine upstanding citizens who would never contemplate even bending let alone breaking the law, come over and immediately morph into ostrich like refusniks either not bothering to find out what the rules are or, for some unfathomable reason, convincing themselves that they don't apply to them.