Travel Insurance wanted

Sunshine

Hi

We live permanantly in France and need Travel Insurance.  Apart from adding this to my current home insurance (if possible) can you recommend a good Insurer.  Do you know of any special deals at the moment?

Any good stories?

I'm also looking for travel insurance and haven't found it yet.[quote user="daisymay"]We paid £74 for annual worldwide cover for a couple. The company is Travel Plan Direct and it is all done over the net.[/quote]That sounds good, but can you give us any detail about the risks covered, limits, excess amounts, etc?  It's difficult to make comparisons without that kind of information.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Just Google travel plan direct and have a look for yourself.[/quote]Good idea.  I did, but they don't offer cover for anyone of my great age (>65), so my enquiry didn't get very far.

I had travel insurance in the Uk with Travel and General Insurance, and when I retired to France they altered my policy to give me the same cover but with trips starting in France - this is specifically written in to the policy.  I am 66 and pay about £56 per year for worldwide cover - I travel to the Caribbean and the Far East in search of coral.  My cover can continue until I am 75.  The only pre-existing condition which they exempt from cover is my mild athritis, but I can't see how that could result in a claim anyway!  You can e-mail them for a quote on [email protected].   When my daughter was taken seriously ill in Cuba they paid for her to fly back to the UK by first class Virgin Atlantic as she had to remain lying down. She had taken out just the usual two-week cover on my recommendation and was very pleased.

I got their name originally from Which magazine but they have changed their names since then - I think they used to be called Travel Direct.

We use flexicover:

http://www.flexicover.com/

as they will cover people over 65 and people, like my husband, with previous or ongoing fairly serious medical complaints. We used them first for a kind of gap-year type cover for oldies. They have always provided good cover at a reasonable cost - but I must add we have never had to make a claim on the insurance, so don't know how they would be with that; though they have a good reputation.

Sue

Thank you for all the replys, I have not logged on for a few days so sorry I did not respond immediatley.

As I worked for one of the largest investment, insurers and assurers in the UK for many years, I always read the conditions and check the small print, not to mention the quality of the policy.  I was also not taken in by the offer of a big discount if you put all your eggs in one basket, as this was not the case for us. 

But was just wondering about French Insurance and pre exisiting conditions.  They were happy to accept my top up insurance with no clauses, I wonder if it is the same with French travel insurance.

Has any one had any experience with this?