Central heating oil prices

billy10

Hi everyone ,

I   am just about to fill my tanks again with 2500 litres of oil, last time I filled up it cost me 60 cents a litre , any forum memebers know what the current rate is as I cant find it published anywhere , incidentally I live in department 36

Billy10

[quote user="billy10"]

Hi everyone ,

I   am just about to fill my tanks again with 2500 litres of oil, last time I filled up it cost me 60 cents a litre , any forum memebers know what the current rate is as I cant find it published anywhere , incidentally I live in department 36

Billy10

[/quote]

Hi Billy ,that amount sounds like 3 years supply!

We had 2000 litres delivered in mid October and was almost empty when I ordered more last week. I only ordered 1000 this time hoping the price will go down. By the way, we weren't here from January through first of March and still went through 2000 litres! Ernie, are you saying that 2,500 will last you for years? [blink]

Christine, fingers crossed spring will arrive when it's supposed to tomorrow. [:D]

We get through about 2500 to 3000 litres per year plus wood for the long burner.  Our house is anything but warm.  We only have the heating on for about two hours in the morning and live in the kitchen and lounge for the rest of the day. We are investigating double glazing this year and also changing to gas. Roll on the summer.

[quote user="billy10"]WJT, you either live in a Chateau or are in serious need of some insulation , your usage seems very high, having said that i still need to insulate tyo a higher standard to bring my consumption down a bit[/quote]

No, unfortunately not a chateau. [:(] It sounds as if Clair and I live in the same house. [:D]

We are in the process of "trying" to get devis for our roof. Hopefully, if we can ever find a good artisan for this we will be putting in very good insulation at the same time.

Hi Claire

3000 litres is an enormous amount of oil, you must have either a leak, no insulation or a huge area to heat particularly if you have a wood burner as well, be careful as you might find that gas will be just as expensive as the heat has to be going somewhere irrespective of what fuel you are using.

[quote user="WJT"]

[quote user="billy10"]WJT, you either live in a Chateau or are in serious need of some insulation , your usage seems very high, having said that i still need to insulate tyo a higher standard to bring my consumption down a bit[/quote]

No, unfortunately not a chateau. [:(] It sounds as if Clair and I live in the same house. [:D]

We are in the process of "trying" to get devis for our roof. Hopefully, if we can ever find a good artisan for this we will be putting in very good insulation at the same time.

[/quote]

We just got our new roof and insulation completed (though still have to have tower re-roofed - planned for this September).  The newer part of the house (which wasn't re-roofed as tiles were ok) has had insulation on the flat part of the roof but the mansarded (sloped) sides are being double boarded from the inside (with 7cms of insulation).  It has made a massive difference to the temperature in the upstairs bedrooms which are now really, really cosy.  It wasn't cheap (just over 16,000 euro) but well worth it.  Before we had the roof / insulation done we got through 2000 litres of oil in 4 months - and that was leaving heating on a setting of minimum!  

P.s Not sure where you are but we can recommend our (local, french) roofer who was fab.

Pps our floor area is 250 sq m and we had virtually no insulation.  We also had a very aesthetically pleasing house - tower, large arched door, immense fire place opening - which looks fab but feels like a draughty medieval castle!

Scooby, we also have an old pigeonniere (tower) that is used for our stairs. There is no insulation above the ceiling so is also very draughty. We don't need a new roof there but want to have the ceiling taken out and put very good insulation in. Unfortunately, we do need a new roof (we were told the roof was fine by a French architect we paid to survey the house before we bought [:(]). We are located in S.E. Dordogne. If your roofer is near our area, I would love to have his name please. [:)]

Sounds like it.  Our house is a large stone house and has a massive stone staircase which we don't heat right in the middle separating the house into two halves, kitchen on one side and lounge on the other.  We also have tile floors, exposed granite walls and no damp course.  The house was built circa 1732.  However, despite the expense and the cold we love it !!!

[quote user="WJT"]Scooby, we also have an old pigeonniere (tower) that is used for our stairs. There is no insulation above the ceiling so is also very draughty. We don't need a new roof there but want to have the ceiling taken out and put very good insulation in. Unfortunately, we do need a new roof (we were told the roof was fine by a French architect we paid to survey the house before we bought [:(]). We are located in S.E. Dordogne. If your roofer is near our area, I would love to have his name please. [:)][/quote]

Sent you a pm with his details WJT!

[quote user="Clair"]... the price varies according to the quality (normal or super)[/quote]

I paid 80¢ a couple of weeks ago (this is in Lot-et-Garonne).  I didn't know there were different grades - I wasn't offered any choice!

They have different names for it and they are slightly more expensive:

The "ordinaire" is basic heating fuel meeting European norms for viscosity, sulphur and water content.

The "superior/super/premier" fuel usually contains additives

which ensure a better burn, fewer deposits in the burners, less smell

and a reduced consumption, as well as keeping better at lower

temperatures.

BP
call theirs BP Fioul and BP Superfioul.

Esso (under the name Worex) distribute Esso Fioul Plus and Esso Fioul 4 Saisons Plus.

Total have Total Fioul Ordinaire and Total Fioul Premier.

We have two main suppliers in the area. One sells Total fuels and the other BP fuels.

We use BP Premium.

For info, this is the official line on ordinary heating fioul/fuel average price per hl over 2007:

For prices per litre, divide by 100

Euros/hl FOD

(livraisons de 2000 à 4999l)
FOD

(livraisons de 27000l et plus)
DATE H.T.T. T.T.C. H.T.T. T.T.C.
1er semestre 200745,0060,5941,1555,98
2ème

semestre 2007
2007 48,7765,1044,8960,46

and in 2008 so far:

Euros/hl FOD