Phone...landline or mobile?

cassie

Hoping to complete soon on holiday (and DIY) home near Fougeres  (dept 35,,,Ille et Vilaine) .

Is it worthwhile installing  land line Or shall I buy  "pay as you go"? (what is French for this?)

If I need internet I believe I can use a MacDonalds!!

What is best network in this area?  Cheap calls to U.k. would be useful!

Thanks

dennisg

We use the local internet cafe a lot just now, which works out expensive; we are working out which internet supplier to go with.

There is also the mediatheque (v hot in there though) and the I've just passed the tourist office, which is now sporting a sign saying free wifi. Do you have anything available like these?

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

If your UK laptop or phone is Wifi, then just switch it on and see what hotspots you can find locally, a local hotel is free, sometimes one of the maries in the area, and our internet cafe just charge 1euro for log-on code (if you're a frequent visitor free with a cup of coffee! including plugging in to recharge[:)])

Having a fixed line at your house is preferable in medical emergencies, as it is easier to trace your address, if you are incapacitated. For example, you have a stroke and can call 112, but you cannot speak. 

Also a few years ago I had to call out EDF at night because of a power supply emergency and because I did not have my landline at that time, the EDF 24 hour emergency response service said they could only come to my house during daylight hours.

• 1 month later...

Hi

We live in St Beat in Haute Garonne (31) and have a landline.

Got a package from UK Telecom which now offer you a landline, wireless broadband, free telephone calls to other landlines in many countries.  Comes in at around 43 euros a month.

Also got friends who swear by neuf.fr.

Hope that helps.

Ron

Got a package from UK Telecom which now offer you a landline, wireless broadband, free telephone calls to other landlines in many countries.  Comes in at around 43 euros a month.

Which is 10 or 15 Euros a month more expensive than the French operators, if you are brave enough to deal with a French speaking help desk.

We have the Orange / FT package which includes satellite TV, broadband internet and free calls to Europe and N America - 35 euro per month - or thereabouts.  French only helpline - but answered straight away and very helpful.

We have the Orange / FT package

The plus with the Orange deal is that you can have French TV either down the line or by satellite, depending on where you live.

The minus is that they charge an extra 7 Euros if you want to ring abroad.

So the deal, excluding offers, usually adds up as 29.90 basic + 3 for the livebox + 7 for international calls making 39.90 in total.

I fairness it might be one of the many special offers with Orange. There are so many these days its difficult to keep up with them.

We have the whole package and the bills are now coming in at 48 Euros something a month. Don't forget the 7 Euros for international calls also includes 30 minutes to French mobiles which is cumulative i.e. if you don't use all the minutes one month they roll over to the next but for only one month, well at least thats what it shows on my bill. My total bills used to run in at about 90€ a month so I am quite happy as I also get French TV could never get before (big mountain in the way).