Anyone near Boulogne sur Gesse in the Gers?

We are currently looking for a house in the Midi Pyrenees, and have been looking south of the E80 so that we can be close to the mountains for hiking and skiing.

We've since been told that the weather is better north of the E80, and it's still accessible for skiing. One of the areas we're now considering is around Boulogne sur Gesse. Does anyone know that area? Would be interested in any comments, both good and bad.

Monty

We have a house in Salerm, unfortunately at the moment a holiday home, which is near Boulogne.

We very much like the rolling hills and especially the French people of the area who are friendly and tolerant of the fact that our language skills require developing.

Seems a very quiet area but with lots around. And very easy access to the mountains.

Weather seems very good - last February, when we had just taken ownership of the house I was working in just a pair of shorts.

There will be others more qualified to comment on the area due to actually living there. However, we looked at areas near the Pyrenees and think that we have chosen the best location.

Best of luck

Paul

As a little update, depending upon the type of location that you are looking for, you might also like to look around Aurignac, which is to the east of Boulogne.

A book published last month, A summer in Gascony by Martin Calder, is set in a village near Boulogne and does provide some description of the area and life, albeit a few years ago. Also provides some history of the area.

Have also PMd you with 3 properties for sale.

Paul

Hi Monty

Would go along with the advice you received regarding weather North of A64. We live East of Boulogne and North of Aurignac and have been here for three years. We watch the Summer thunderstorms rattle along the Pyrennees and see the snow clouds building in Winter. When the weather is right we can be in many places in the mountains within an hour or so. A big attraction to us is the lack of wind in this corner of France but Winter can be quite cold. It is very quiet here so if you are seeking tranquility this could be the area for you and the views on the mountains can be quite stunning. If you want any local info feel free to e-mail or PM me.

Mik

Hello

Can I butt in please? Like Monty, my husband and I are looking to move to the pyrenees. I have 3 dogs which like to swim so it would be fantastic if we could be close to lakes or canals but we also need views of the mountains. Local walks are a must where I can walk my 3 boys off the leads. Peace and quiet is also a must with beautiful countryside.

Any ideas please? It's such a vast area that it's very difficult to get to see it all so with a few pointers I can look suggested area's up on the internet before visiting.

Thanks very much

Well our place is South of the A64 in the foothills of the Pyrenees. Personally, rather than looking at the mountains, I prefer to be in them! OK, not too high up (we're about 500m above sea level). We're 15 minutes from the pistes for a bit of skiing, and it takes the same time to pop into Spain and have a paella! There are loads of lakes about and the countryside is fantastic. Real seasons too - The summer thunderstorms after a warm day are dramatic - I love 'em! You're right though, it's a big area (we're in 'the middle' East/West) so best to explore the lot before deciding. One point to bear in mind is lack of winter light if you are lower, and near a steep hill/mountain blocking the winter sun.

Having written the above, part of the charm of the place it the fact that it's not heavily populated. So I'd advise of course remaining North of the A64!

Hi Darnsarf

Can you give me a rough idea as to where you live? We were originally looking around Bagneres de Bigorre but we're a bit concerned about the lack of walking i'd be able to do during the winter months. At the moment, we live in the Charente-Maritime so I can walk the dogs all year round no problem. Now, the idea of having a snowy winter sounds idyllic to me but is it really practical when my favourite pastime is walking? We've noticed quite a few lovely properties/buildings for sale in the triangle of St-Girons. St Gaudens and Bagneres-de-Luchon. The area (on a map) looks beautiful but where do I walk in mid january?

Bagneres-de-Bigorre is still pulling at my heartstrings but am I being practical?

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Martin Calder"]

I'm pleased to hear you've read my book, hope you liked it.

One tiny point: Boulogne-sur-Gesse in the Haute-Garonne not the Gers, but near the border.

:-)

Best wishes

Martin Calder (author of A Summer in Gascony)

[/quote]

Martin

I very much enjoyed the history of Gascony in the book - very interesting. It also read as though it was an idyllic summer that you had. The end a little sad, but true to life time goes and so do people.

Also enjoyed your talk at the French exhibition.

Paul

Hi there Magnolia, my name is Jon (Alias). Read your interest in going to the Pyrenees. I am about to return there in my second house. This is joined to the other house in the same street.

Post edited by the moderators. Please do not advertise or post your personal details, products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

Hi Monty, read your message re: The Pyrenees, I am 10mins from B-S-Gesse, and have main house including a restaurant biz I am getting under way. At the moment I can offer you loads of contacts and info on the area.
I can put you in contact with a 'walking guide' for the moutains+drive you there also. Luchon and other locations, are about 45mins from me, and you will have easy access to all that I think you need.  The weather here is a bit of a Micro-Climate, with lots of sunshine, and cold winters also with sun again for perfect skiing... The boarder with Spain is also a stones-throw from us, so lots of cheap things there... plus,  ANOTHER COUNTRY!!

Regards Jon. 
Post edited by the moderators. Please do not advertise or post your personal details, products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

bought a house in St Ferreol de Comminges 2 years ago (near Boulogne). we love it and hoping to be able to move there permanently in a couple of years.

Being french and my partner english i  really can  say it is still my favourite part of France, still wild with not to many tourist.

an estate agent in l'isle en dodon (AB immobilier) was great.

best of luck

Herve

Hello,

just  read your book, my partner and i bought a house in saint ferreol de comminges 2 years ago (mentionned in the last page of your book) and really love it there.

will definitely try the auberge in peguilhan.

great to learn so much about the history.

if one day you pass by and we are there please do stop for a glass of wine.

[quote user="St ferreol de Comminges"]

will definitely try the auberge in peguilhan.

[/quote]

Had lunch there last Thursday - wanted to go for an evening meal but you do need to book fairly well ahead, so obviously popular.

When we ate there the place was fairly empty - probably about 18 people in all. It was not as I imagined it from the book but there again that is down to ones imagination. However, we were not disappointed. It was a very pleasant experience. The soup was especially good. 

Did note that they did not have any copies of Martins book for sale :)

Paul

• 7 months later...

Hi Jon

Just been surfing thru old chat topics and found this. I am looking for property around the area and am planning a trip towards end of february. I have been talking to someone who has a house in blajan and someone else with another property for sale in Aspet but I do not know either area. Wondered if you have any views? I am a keen walker/skier and also have a dog.  Will be buying as a holiday house initially but with view to permanent move 2 yrs time.  Would appreciate any info you have re good agents/contacts for property and/or tradespeople in the area.

Thanks

Terri

Terri

We were looking at a house in Blajan - overlooking the 'valley' to the south. However, we felt that the noise from the motorway was a little noisy, however, the houses actually within Blajan do not suffer from this.

We did note that estate agents would stop in Blajan to get their bread from the bakers there.

If you want an English speaking Notaire, we found the one in Castelnau Magnoc excellent.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We are considering buying a property in salerm and would be really grateful for some more information on your experiences there.  There is some finishing work to do on a barn conversion plus some ground work and general improvements and we would need to find someone who could do this locally so if you know of a reputable tradesman this would be really helpful. Also the weather!!!!!!!!!  How has it been over the winter? 

Do you find it too quiet? Where do you go for restaurants/bars/village shop/bread etc??  Also how many real French people there and how many English/Dutch?  Are there opportunities for engaging in community??

Sorry about all the questions but it is so lucky to find someone already there so would really value your feedback.

Many thanks

Terri

Post edited by the moderators. Please do not post your personal details on the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We live south of the motorway and Boulogne Sur Gesse.

Had a guest stay with us in our B&B who has bought in Boulogne.  Depends what you want, he said there are quite a few English people with houses or who live there.  Usually find more English North of the motorway than you do South.

We also have a friend who has a house at Bazordan, cant say the weather is that much different if I am honest.

So, if you want to be near the mountains to ski, get a house there.  Summers are red hot, winters are on the whole sunny.  This year February was glorious, lots of snow and sunny days.

If you want more English people around you, go north of the motorway.

We live in St Beat which is on the road from Montrejeau to Lerida in Spain.

If you want to know more by all means get in touch, happy to help.

Ron

Chalet le Chapeau Bleu

www.lechapeaubleu.com

[quote user="Terri"]

Hi

We are considering buying a property in salerm and would be really grateful for some more information on your experiences there.  There is some finishing work to do on a barn conversion plus some ground work and general improvements and we would need to find someone who could do this locally so if you know of a reputable tradesman this would be really helpful. Also the weather!!!!!!!!!  How has it been over the winter? 

Do you find it too quiet? Where do you go for restaurants/bars/village shop/bread etc??  Also how many real French people there and how many English/Dutch?  Are there opportunities for engaging in community??

Sorry about all the questions but it is so lucky to find someone already there so would really value your feedback.

Many thanks

Terri

[/quote]

Terri, only just seen your post - sending you a pm

Paul