tax on UK rentals

Patf

As a warning to others in the same boat , thought I would tell you this story.

Today I took our tax forms into the office, having filled them in 4 times now and pretty sure they were ok. But to be on the safe side, asked to speak to someone. The lady who saw me looked at the forms and said that the rent on our UK house should be taxed in France[8-)] I was pretty sure this was wrong (we've already paid tax on it in the UK) and told her so. She went and got the rulebook, a huge tome , and after about 5 minutes said " vous avez raison madame." Sigh of relief. My mind was going through all the complications should things have changed.

But this just shows that french tax officials make mistakes and we need to be aware of the rules ourselves.

Tell me about it!  It took me 18 months to persuade my local tax office that I should pay any tax here at all, and that in spite of the fact that they had happily signed my FD5.  I had also filled in the tax form correctly but the official had changed it (and not with me present)!  Now I do it on line to save the hassle.

Agreed.  Tax inspectors are generally next to useless on matters that they are not used to dealing with, such as the UK France tax treaty.  Trouble is that they will give you an answer (usually guesswork) rather than admit that they do not know.  In the UK you would be directed to the correct unit for advice.