On-line tax form errors.

Jackie

I thought I would put this on as a separate question. Having corrected an on-line tax declaration the web site shows both the corrected copy and the un-corrected copy. How do you delete the latter or is this not possible?..........J

I did mine today and I did forget to put something on it (I'd like to say I did this deliberately to find out for you, but I'd be lying, I just made a silly gaff!)  I can't find any way of deleting the original.  Just be sure that you have the electronic signature for both versions, in case it's queried later.

[quote user="Jackie"]Having corrected an on-line tax declaration the web site shows both the corrected copy and the un-corrected copy.[/quote]

I find this puzzling.  I've also corrected an on-line declaration (more than once) and each time all that happens is that the website displays the last one, in other words all the most recent numbers I entered, and invites me to change whatever I like.

From the point of view of the user (i.e. me) only one version exists, as far as I can see.  There may well be a "history" file somewhere with a record of what I entered before, but I've never seen it. 

Anyway, as Cooperlola says, if you keep a printout of the last receipt and also of the "résumé" produced at the same time, there should be no doubt about what your final declaration contained.

Thanks for the replies folks. Going to Mon Compte Fiscal and then maybe it depends on where you look. If you look at Visualiser ma déclaration de revenus you only see the latest 2042 that you have entered but if you look at Mes Documents then it shows all the documents 2042,2047, 2042C and 3916 including earlier versions. Is this what is happening for you?....................................J

PS When I did it it said that the fact that I had accounts abroad made it to difficult to give an estimate, anyone else have this happen?

[quote user="Jackie"]When I did it it said that the fact that I had accounts abroad made it to difficult to give an estimate, anyone else have this happen?[/quote]

It's not exactly because of accounts abroad; it happens if you declare any revenu exonéré, i.e. income that is not taxable in France because of a treaty.  Probably the most common example for UK expatriates is a pension for government service.

There's an extra step in the tax calculation to deal with this, and they have't programmed it yet. If you read the message carefully I think you'll find it says not just "difficult" but "impossible".

[quote user="Jackie"]...if you look at Mes Documents then it shows all the documents 2042,2047, 2042C and 3916 including earlier versions...[/quote]Thanks, I hadn't seen that before.  I don't think you need to worry about deleting the earlier ones, though; the list makes it clear which is the most recent.

Thanks and on reflection I think that is what it said and I do have a Teacher's pension declared so that must be it. I have just noticed that I forgot to tick the box saying I have included a 2042C but I think I will leave well alone as a 4th correction might be excessive and they can see I have done one anyway! If last year is anything to go by they totally ignored 2042C and 2047 and I had to claim back overpaid tax. I suspect when they are in a hurry that they might just look at the 2042 and ignore anything else. I wonder if they send these on-line entries to your local tax office to be dealt with or process them centrally?.........................................J

I am pretty sure that the on-line declarations are just processed automatically.  One of the reasons I started doing my returns on line was because I could not count the times I'd been back and forth to my tax office in previous years because they were so useless at getting it right (and kept insisting that I should be paying tax in the UK and not here as I should be.)  Since I've been doing it on line all the figures and deductions have been correct, which never happened when it was done locally.

I can't imagine that it would hurt to correct it.  On the other hand, it is probably something you'd get away with (unlike my mistake which was to forget to declare my pension as subject to social charges, which would have cost the government a number of Euros!)

Well on trying to correct it I discover the option to tick the box saying you have submitted a 2042C is not there but it is shown on the completed form when you look at the submission in Mes Documents so cannot do it, silly is it not........................................J

[quote user="Jackie"]

I have just noticed that I forgot to tick the box saying I have included a 2042C but I think I will leave well alone ...[/quote]

When I look at visualiser ma déclaration I have just the same thing but I know I ticked the 2042C box - I remember doing just that - and I panicked until I looked in mes documents and all the completed forms are there as they should be - thank goodness.

I also received the notice saying that it was impossible to generate the list of of what tax etc we will be paying this year - which is a great disappointment.  We don't receive a pension yet, so it cannot be because of that, so it must be because I added a note about the rate of exchange I uesd - as per the instructions from my local tax office.

But at least the declaration is in ...

Sue

Hi yes I could not find the box to tick about the 2042C but,like you, when looked at the completed form in my documents there it was unticked. Other have said not to worry as they should notice you have done a 2042C. I don't tell the rate I used but I try and use the one recommended on this and the Total France site, so far no questions asked, croiser les doigts....................JR

Croiser les doigts: Cette locution est d'origine religieuse, et vient de l'Angleterre du Moyen-Âge : il s'agit d'un signe représentant la croix emblématique du christianisme, censée protéger le fidèle superstitieux du mauvais oeil ou plus simplement du malheur.............Something I did not know.........JR

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

I try and use the one recommended on this and the Total France site, so far no questions asked, ....JR[/quote]

The tax department have 6 years to check and investigate your tax return. Fortunate that as previously it used to be 10 years; thank Sarcoszy for the change.

Sue

From this and other sites I gather that some tax offices suggest using the rate on December 31st whereas others specify a rate. The thing is that if you have made some money on investments whatever and have not moved it into France what rate do you use. You could say that you would use what you would have got had you done so but the question is when. This year using the Dec rate is almost the same as suggested here and other places, is slightly in our favour whereas in other years it is not so it probably balances out in the end. For most of us we are only talking peanuts anyway......................JR