Not exactly High Finance But......

Nell

I seem to have built up a quite a large collection of loose change over a period of time. When I get all  those 1,2,5,10,20,50 bits of coins and my purse begins to bulge I empty then all into a box and start again.... I was just wondering if the banks here do small change bags like they do in the UK, where I can count this lot out, take it to the bank and exchange it for proper euros. (Reminds me of the days of collecting sixpences in a whisky bottle [:D]  - OMG I am feeling old at the thought [+o(] )

Regards - Nell

Our local post office, and some of the local shops, give out different plastic cases that are sized to take 50 coins : so there's one for 50¢, one for €1, one for €2.50, and so on.

Most shops seem to be happy to take the full ones in payment.

I had over 100€ in small change, which I sorted into envelopes and wrote on the amounts. I asked at the bank - C.A. - how to pay it in. One of the staff sat down with me and checked the amounts against my figures then gave a receipt.

Best to go at a quiet time.

My new purse (the old one burst its zip because of too many small denomination coins!) has several compartments.

I am so organised now:

1st compartment : notes

2nd compartment : 2 euro coins

middle compartment which has another zip : 1 euro coins (I try not to use these so that I always have some for car parking)

4th compartment: gold coloured coins 10-50cents

5th compartment: the brown ones that my son always used to call s***

This means that I can now give the right change in shops without being one of those annoying people at the front of the queue who takes ages.

It's surprising how few brown coins I now have.

God, I sound so smug.

Now to get the rest of my life as organised.

Actually, while I think of it, there was another motivation in organising my coins

The little man in the garage in the village NEVER used to give us the right change. Really annoying.

If the petrol came to 16.43 for example he wouldn't think of letting us off the 3cents. On the other hand, we would never bother giving us the odd 7cents change.

This really annoyed Mr. Polremy who argued quite rightly that his petrol was overpriced anyway and he must be making quite a lot over the week.

I always make an effort to give the correct odd euros/cents if I have them, when paying for anything. This way I find I don't end up with a bulging purse.

Having said that, in the car, in jars, on the mantlepiece etc we always have an impressive collection of coin as my husband will always use a note, when coins would do. Can't win.