Main stopcock caused a flood

When we left the house just before winter I turned the stopcock off and drained the water out of the pipes. This was to stop any damage being cause by the frost bursting a pipe. The problem is that during the winter the stopcock broke and allowed the water to flow. This was over 900 euro's of water. The water company was called out and replaced the stopcock and did not charge us as it was on there side of the water meter.

What I  would like to know, would I be liable for the water that had flowed through the meter, or as it was there stopcock that was the problem would they be responsable?

Thanks for any replies

Susan

I had drained the water from the pipes. When I drained them I had left the taps open. We were not living in the house only working in it so the water was off with the taps open for a few days before we left. Sometime after we left there stopcock allowed the water to flow through the meter and out of the taps. From the meter reading and my last bill I calculated the cost of the water that was lost.

Bad move to leave the taps open, and unnecessary too for protection once the pipes were drained, but that's by the by [:(]

I must say though that I'm extremely surprised to hear of a stopcock failing in the fashion you imply. What type of valve was it and did you see it for yourself I wonder ?

Having had a few problems with burst radiators myself, the plumber told me of a gentleman who had turned his water off at the stopcock when he left. His stopcock failed and pipes burst, but his place was in a remote area, and he didn't return for 3 months[:(] He has to start again from scratch, as even the plasterboard had come off the walls[:'(]