Tax Habitation & Foncieres

Paul King

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading with interest current threads on the two above taxes, but it has made me slightly worried as this is our first year of owing a property in France.  We purchased our property earlier this year and the Notaire informed us that there wouldn’t be any taxes to pay for 2008 and we would be liable from 2009. We also requested that both 2009 bills were sent to our UK address as we only visit France four times each year – the Notaire agreed to sort this for us.  We live near Gardes Le Pontaroux in Dept 16.

What is worrying me is that it seems that people of this forum are now receiving their bills and payment is due soon?  Can anyone please confirm when both of these bills are normally issued and when the payment date is for each, and what do we do if our bill is sat in our French letterbox and we won’t be visiting next until November?  As yet we haven’t received a bill to our UK address.

Many thanks as always for your help.

Best Regards

Paul.

Hi again

Normally the Habitation will be apportioned by the notaire between the vendor and purchaser.  This is not normally done for the Fonciere.  So for the Habitation, the vendor should have paid 7/365 and yourself the remainder, based on the previous (2007) year bill.  You may not even have been aware that this was done.

M

[quote user="Maricopa"]

Normally the Habitation will be apportioned by the notaire between the vendor and purchaser.  [/quote]

I thought it was the other way round viz habitation always paid in full by the person who owned the house on 1st Jan and foncière paid pro rata by the vendor and the purchaser.

Sue

[quote user="spg"]I thought it was the other way round viz habitation always paid in full by the person who owned the house on 1st Jan and foncière paid pro rata by the vendor and the purchaser.

Sue

[/quote]

Sue you may be right, I was simply going from my (sometimes amazingly poor) memory![:D]

The proportioning of the Tax Froncieres would not have been done at the time of the sale in January as the amount of the  2008 tax would not have been known at that time. As this tax is due shortly and would be sent to the vendor for payment, it is only now when it has been paid by the vendor, that he(she) or the Notaire will ask you for your part. This arrangement is often common practice but usually has to be agreed at the time of the sale.

Baz

You will have no taxes to pay this year. The person living in the house at the 1st january is liable for the full amount for tax habitation, be the owner or tenant. For the Fonc the owner at the 1st january is liable for the full amount of the tax.

ams