Living in Tours?

Hello,

I was in Tours last summer. I thought the city was a very nice size and very charming. The close proximity to Paris is outstanding. I would like to live within apprx. 1 hr from Paris and Tours seems like a nice place to live with kids. Not too large and very attractive. We are a family of 4. This move would be in a few years. We are all planning on being well versed in French. 3 yr old and 5 yr old.

Any thoughts?

I too love Tours and have done since I was a kid (nearly half a century since I first went...[:-))]).  My gut feeling would be similar to yours but Le Mans is a bit closer to the racing action and it's a great city also.  Otherwise I might well have chosen Tours as a place to live if we could have afforded it.

My wife and I were thinking B and B. If not I am in Real estate and my wife is a CGA. I am sure getting my real estate license wouldnt be too hard. Getting a new accounting designation for my wife may be tricky. I think We may do a combo of B and B and I could sell/lease property.

This is in the very early stages of planning but we are serious. I really appreciate your feedback :)

The problem of B&B is that zillions of other expats had the same idea first and in many areas the market has become over saturated as a result. Not an area that I have any experience in, but in the Gites section the conensus seems to be that you can supplement your income but not make a living from it.

As for real estate, with property market values in France in decline, not an area to be going into for a few years at least I would have thought.

France is a great country for retiring in, or having a holiday home, like most posters on this forum, but a huge challenge to make a living in. 

Totally agree on both the Band B and estate agency front.  I sadly now know two estate agents one in the Charente and one in the Alps who have not sold a single property in over a year.  They are both commision only and are both in a lot of trouble financially as a result.

Would I be right in thinking that you are from North America?

You will find the French approach to business is alien to you. A useful website would be www.americansintoulouse.com and you might find Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong by Jean-Benoit Nadeau & Julie Barlow helpful.

EDIT

Your message was posted while I was writing mine. I don't know of a Canadians in France website, but you might find the one I mention useful, and the book is written by Canadians.

Best of luck.

I assume you or your wife have an EU passport, as if not you will require a permanent residency and work visa, which are difficult to obtain unless you are sponsored by a prospective employer, or marry an EU citizen. As you probably know it is not easy for EU nationals to obtain a permanent immigration visa to Canada, unless it can be demonstrated they have special job skills, or are prepared to make a substantive business investment and likewise France applies the same policy to non EU citizens wanting to move there.