RIBs

maggietarason

RIB = Relevé d'Identité Bancaire

It is used to identify you, you produce it when you pay by cheque ( local authorities, EDF, and other invoices), it is an extra guarantee of payment  for the organisation concerned.

Just ask you bank for some RIBs, and they give you a few, as you need them.

RIB stands for Relevé d'Identité Bancaire.

A RIB shows the name of the account holder, the bank code, the branch code, the account number and a RIB key, in short, it shows all the details required for a bank transfer, national or international, to set up a direct debit (utility or tax bills for instance), for payment of a salary...

They are included in your chequebook and can be printed from your internet bank access or on request at your bank.

Example

Certainly makes repayment into your account easier.  The CPAM person asked for our RIB when we went to register and I just tore off the RIB details from our cheque book for her.

Thereafter all payments from CPAM went straight into our account (as also from the top-up insurance as they have our RIB also).

Hope that explains it a little bit more.

Good luck!

[quote user="maggietarason"]

Does this mean that we have to have french bank account already established for my mother and my husband and I before taking our E121 and E106s in to the CPAM? [/quote]

Yes, it's best, then you can do everything in one visit. In fact we recently went through the exercise with an E121 holder, making an appointment at the bank to set up the account, and going straight afterwards to the CPAM office a couple of doors away, and all was achieved remarkably simply and quickly. It helps to be properly prepared and to do your homework about what you will need to take with you.

You will certainly need to have a bank account in place before your first refund from CPAM becomes due.

Once I realised that RIBS are the be all and end all in France for sorting out utilities and the like I always carry one with me[:)] I think if someone had told me about them and there importance before we bought our first house it would have made life sooooo much easier, its one of my top tips before you buy in France.

Not really, Clair.

Every time you write a cheque, people have access to your sort code, account number, name of your account, IBAN.

It's not a problem someone knowing your details.  The problem is when they get hold of your "secret" info such as PINs, Passwords, what your signature looks like, etc.

What I found really strange was when a couple of years ago (before I could speak any French) a French friend rang our bank (which was then in Brittany) as a favour to us and they told him everything about our account including the balance!

That, fortunately, was amusing instead of alarming as he rang when I was in the room with him and we didn't have much money in the account anyway.[:D]

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="sweet 17"]Every time you write a cheque, people have access to your sort code, account number, name of your account, IBAN...[/quote]Not only that, but also a specimen of your signature.
[/quote]

Good point, allanb.  Thanks for pointing that out!

One more reason not to give cheques to people you don't know well then![:)]