Tax Foncieres.

ams

Yes. You can sign up for monthly payments with at La Trésorerie or online at http://www.impots.gouv.fr. The direct debit is taken on the 15th of the month over 10 months. If you want your first payment to be taken out in Jan 2009, you need to sign up by the 15 December.

I guess we are really lucky that our tax d'habitation is only €79 with nil redevance audiovisuel as we don't have a TV!

In that case, gosub, I don't mind paying a bit more if it means my income is higher!  Except that I'm not sure my income is what you'd call high................

Oh well, at least I've declared everything and I can't be in for any nasty surprises next year or anytime soon![:-))]

Your taxes foncieres and your taxe d'habitation should both be calculated on the same "valeur locative base" i.e. the €741 that you have negotiated it down to.

First step is to challenge the taxe d'habitation bill and then carry on with your mission to further reduce the "valeur base locative", as an aid there will be a second figure that is the averagefigure  for your commune "valeur locative moyen", if you have one of the smalest houses it stands to reason that you should not be paying twice the average for your village, excepting perhaps you have 15 toilets and 4 swimming pools.

Mind you since when has reason had anything to do with it? I have probably the largest dwelling in a commune of 1300 inhabitants and my valeur locative remains half of the moyen after long and protracted negotiation with the hôtel des impots when they finally fell back on the "dossier perdu" trick when they got fed up with me. It means in practice that instead of the massive increase they initially were going to impose after I filled out a form H1 I continue to pay on the basis of the previous owners massive underdeclaration.

As an aside did you get the impression that no-one has ever before dared to challenge their figures? I get this all the time, it is if they are faced with someone from an alien planet, my favorite is with the builders merchants when they say "I cannot", - after getting them to admit that really they are saying "I will not" I deliver the coup de grace and ask "why is it that you advertise as a "negoce materieux"? [:)]

[quote user="Dinks"]Yes. You can sign up for monthly payments with at La Trésorerie or online at http://www.impots.gouv.fr. The direct debit is taken on the 15th of the month over 10 months. If you want your first payment to be taken out in Jan 2009, you need to sign up by the 15 December.
[/quote]

I am sure I have read on here that if you sign up for DD now it will be for next years tax bills, this years bill is still payable now before December sometime.

an update on the Fonciere/Habitation saga

Wifey went with a friend (French) to hotel impot yesterday armed with all drawings measurements etc to see about a) further fonciere reduction b) habitation reduction (based on duff data)

A very long afternoon being passed between Box I and Box H (you know how these things work!). At the outset they were told that no-one could deal with both enquiries at the same time. In reality they spoke to one person (Box I) about fonciere and then box H about habitation (and then vice-versa - strange how they can accommodate change when needs be). Neither would progress without confirmation/bits of paper from the other person. 

Long story short... we got a €150 reduction on the Habitation because they had based it on the wrong figures.  It took an age for them to agree to this though, and without the bit of paper (which they issued..same tax lady...2 weeks ago) saying that the Fonciere had been reduced, they woudn't have agreed to a reduction in Habitation.

So it is worth it after all.

I did have a smile at the following though.

Wifey and French friend were discussing with the Tax lady over what should constitute liveable space. She said all sorts of rubbish and then said "if you want, I can get someone to come in and measure everything". We're not that worried about that though, being the honest people we are as we had measured everything to be spot on. French friend said that was ridiculous, whereupon, Tax lady turned to her and said "...and I can get someone to call on you as well if you like!" ... on which point French friend shut up for the rest of the afternoon

... last time I fill in an H1