Exchange rate for 2008 tax return

Hester

The Connexion are not always an ill-informed source of information, although it is true that some of their contributors are themselves ill-informed, but then its not surprising as (a) unknowingly doing things wrong and getting away with it doesn't make the thing right (b) you've got people of one profession writing about another's, its like a plumber explaining how to wire a relay switch.

The other thing is that the french tax authorities have never published an average exchange rate - not surprising since the law says its the rate on the day that counts. They do publish end of month and quarter exchange rates for businesses, and yes, other organistions do publish average rates.

I gather that the average rates should be out this or next week.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]The impots publish an official information bulletin setting out the exchange rate concession.  Complikate gave a link to last year's version on page one of this thread. [/quote]Yes, but that bulletin refers only to expenses incurred in foreign currency.  I hoped that Ron might have found something that applied specifically to foreign income, which might have put an end to the perennial discussion.  

Of course a rate that is suitable for expenses should be suitable for income as well; but if that's what it's supposed to mean, I wonder why so many tax offices apparently give different answers?

Perhaps they don't read the bulletins.  "Oh, it's just another memo from head office - chuck it in the bin with the others..."  Surely not.