Good tel number to SPEAK to EDF

Kernow

Hi, apologies for asking what probably may be a simple question.

Having brought a house in Britanny back in Dec 07, which is being renovated,  the previous (French) owners said they would contact EDF on our behalf with the current meter reading and let them know our UK address and names. Yesterday English friends of ours (in France) rang us (in the UK) to say EDF had disconnected the electricity. We want to contact EDF ourselves, but the number we ring listed on their English written web site, just has an answering message. My wife, who's French language skills are only marginally better than my almost non-existent French (although improving), cannot understand what is being asked.

Does anyone know a good telephone number to ring EDF direct to avoid this, and speak to an actual person, where we have a better chance of explaining our situation?

We know the abonnemont level we require and KVA rating, and that we do not require E7.

As far as I know, there is no way of telephoning EDF from the UK.  It sounds ridiculous, but I have yet to meet anyone who has managed it, or even find the right number.  All of their published numbers are for use from within France only.  I would love someone to correct me on this.

It may be that the answerphone message that your wife heard was telling you that it was not possible to connect your call.  Out of interest, what was the number that she called?

I have just found mention of this number on another forum, 00 33 562 16 49 08.  Someone used it successfully a few days ago, and managed to speak to someone in your area in English.  They did say that it was hard to get through unless phoning at 9 in the morning though.  Might be worth a try?

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the reply.

The number we used was +33 810 126 126. Which is from their 'English Version' Web page. You are correct it does state 'EDF Access Numbers in France' but it is for 'non residential customers'.

The link is below:

http://www.edf-bleuciel.fr/141412i/accueil/pages-transverses/foreign-residents.html

We just want to tell them that we are the new owners (wef 15 Dec 2007), the meter reading at the time, our names and UK address which is where we would like the bills to be sent. We know the tarrif we want to be on, and have a Frech Bank account to be able to pay on line.

I find it strange that they disconnected the supply without any warning. There had been no post to the 'Present Occupier' in our post box (which is checked by our friends every week), and our artisan had been their all day on the day of disconnection..........they must have come early evening. It is also quite obvious work is being carried out on our house as well, and if they had come when he (the artisan) was there (we email and speak regularly), he would have given them our address / details etc.

Our friends phone line is playing up at the moment (awful buzzing noise), and we also do not want to keep relying on them to sort things out whenever we have a problem. Its also not particularly fair on them,we need and want to able to do do things for ourselves, its the best way to learn and it was our choice to buy a house in Brittany.

Thanks, Marcus

[quote user="Kernow"]

We just want to tell them that we are the new owners (wef 15 Dec 2007), the meter reading at the time, our names and UK address which is where we would like the bills to be sent. We know the tarrif we want to be on, and have a Frech Bank account to be able to pay on line.

I find it strange that they disconnected the supply without any warning. [/quote]

When we moved to our present house we were expected to contact EDF ourselves, as we had no history with EDF in France, and ask for the supply to be continued. There was a form to be filled in, a cheque to be sent for the connection in our name and a copy of a proof of identity ie passport. All this before the contract aws sent by EDF and signed by us.

Perhaps this is the problem in your case - no request by you to continue the electricity supply, so no contract, so no supply.

Can someone you know in France ring EDF for you and explain the situation you are now in?

Sue

The 00 33 5 6216 4908 number is the English speaking helpline which you can ring from the UK.  I rang them a couple of weeks ago and spoke to a very helpful lady called Anouk who was extremely efficient. 

Previously I had emailed the [email protected] several times and have never had any reply nor acknowledgement, so I wouldn't recommend the email approach.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, you have all been so much help.

The phone number given for the English speaking EDF help desk is a good one. Spoke to Anouk, who has sorted everything out for us (fingers crossed). She said there are only two other people with her so it does get quite busy.

Thank you all once again.

Marcus

Just a warning that if you ring EDF to talk technical or to arrange for an engineer to visit to change heures creuses/plein etc you can end up with an extra phone charge of 35€ as we did recently when liasing on a client's property and change of hours for the aforementioned. Also should you ring the breakdown number in case of power cut, you will also receive a seperate invoice for going via Alcatel, usually about 6€ to listen to a recorded message of what areas are affected. This is Brittany by the way and you get diverted to Normandy.

[quote user="Val_2"]Just a warning that if you ring EDF to talk technical or to arrange for an engineer to visit to change heures creuses/plein etc you can end up with an extra phone charge of 35€ as we did recently when liasing on a client's property and change of hours for the aforementioned. Also should you ring the breakdown number in case of power cut, you will also receive a seperate invoice for going via Alcatel, usually about 6€ to listen to a recorded message of what areas are affected. This is Brittany by the way and you get diverted to Normandy.[/quote]

We have just had EDF re-connect the electricity supply to our new house. Whilst they were doing this they noticed the cable from the pylon had been damaged and promptly repaired it. We were not asked to sign any paperwork when they arrived or after they had finished and my wife was not told about any charges when booking the rendez-vous. I'll post an update if we too suffer additional phone costs and a repair charge.

If you visit the EDF website and set up your account you will find a list of ways of contacting them. One is a 'local call' number, which you just treat as you would any other French number called from the UK (drop initial zero, add 0033).

I used this last week to pay a bill (online payment was not working as usual) and set up TIP. Very nice man, spoke very clear French, no problems. Apart from very loud music when on hold. If anyone needs the number I'll look it up.

• 1 year later...
I too have just used 00 33 562 16 49 08 to solve a problem that I have had with EDF for months. In two weeks this helpline (carole) has liased with their own technical and financial departments and resolved the matter. This is the best helpline I have ever used anywhere! Extremely efficient and very helpful.