It was meant to be an idyllic holiday retreat...

I feel some of you are being a bit unfair on Daisy Waugh's article.  First off, you've got to hand it to the ST for publishing an article like this just as everyone is about to set off on their summer holidays for despite the economic downturn, some people are bound to be tempted to include a spot of house hunting.  And her extraordinarily rude house guest aside, it does give a more accurate view of owning a holiday home than so many others I've read. 

I remember many years back there was a long thread running on this board one summer along the lines of "when was the last time you had a proper holiday in your place?".  And it's true, even when your holiday home is fully renovated, decorated, equipped, you have a gardener coming in when you're away, a housekeeper to have everything read when you arrive, you still find yourself spending far too much of your precious holiday searching for obscure things you don't know the name of in stores, having things repaired, meeting lawyers, accountants, builders or whatever. 

We've all experienced the freeloaders that pop up when you own a desirable house somewhere sunny.  We tend not to even tell people now when we're going, and few family members and even fewer friends have our address so as to avoid what I've heard neighbours describe as people simply showing up on your doorstep ("we were just passing") hoping for a bed.

Then you have the other aspect that she covers well, that of expecting at the outset to be popping over for long weekends, half terms and every single holiday but, of course, after the initial euphoria you don't.  Besides which, not everyone wants to go to the same place each and every holiday for the foreseeable future.  Unless the exchange rate or the housing market moves in your favour when you decide (as the vast majority do) to sell, owning a holiday home could be regarded as the most expensive way of taking a vacation.

Someone mentions Helen Frith Powell.  She left France for Abu Dhabi, an altogether very different place to Dubai, and she didn't leave for the shopping.  She left because, as we all know, the taxes/social charges in France are absolutely punishing and it's virtually impossible to earn a decent living.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"

Someone mentions Helen Frith Powell.  She

left France for Abu Dhabi, an altogether very different place to Dubai,

and she didn't leave for the shopping.  She left because, as we all

know, the taxes/social charges in France are absolutely punishing and

it's virtually impossible to earn a decent living.

"

As far as she tells it herself she left because her husband got a job there.Then his newspaper offered her a job too...

Of course at that point (and because she was writing for the Sunday Times) she wrote about the 'the sclerotic bureaucracy'.

I  am going to make you all very angry but I have to say that I still feel that you can make life work in France if you are prepared to put a lot of effort into what you do and choose the right area.

Last night we took some clients to a fairly local Night Market where you buy wine at a bar and various dishes are available to eat at a reasonable price.There is a jovial atmsophere....everyone looked happy.There was a pretty good blues band and artisan goods for sale.

Plenty of British people some may have been holidaymakers but most of them residents.None of them looked undenourished or sad.Maybe that was just an act...just to make me feel good?

Mrs Waugh full of woe...but mainly full of  elaberation,exageration and  ready to show her lack of  sesability! A few hundred  pounds in her purse and off she goes to have a lucky dip!

Oh dear and her friends are invading her holiday home and demanding that she puts on her Nigella Lawson piny and starts cooking.

Can people fall for all that!
On the other hand I am here and its not poerfect.....but my eyes are open and life is not so bad...thank you  very much!

[quote user="NormanH"]"

Someone mentions Helen Frith Powell.  She left France for Abu Dhabi, an altogether very different place to Dubai, and she didn't leave for the shopping.  She left because, as we all know, the taxes/social charges in France are absolutely punishing and it's virtually impossible to earn a decent living.

"

As far as she tells it herself she left because her husband got a job there.Then his newspaper offered her a job too...

Of course at that point (and because she was writing for the Sunday Times) she wrote about the 'the sclerotic bureaucracy'.

[/quote]

Yes, but as she has also gone on record as saying that the move to Abu Dhabi was prompted by economics.  And "sclerotic bureaucracy" where, in France or the UAE?  It's a very close call as to which is worse.  France probably though, the people are far ruder.

Norman, I wish you hadn't provided that link to the Frith Powell story.  Because you provided it and I find your posts interesting, I read the damn thing.

Why is it that everything that that woman writes makes me cringe?[:'(]

[quote user="NormanH"]IOr are you just an empty- mouth?
[/quote]

Reluctant to reply to such rudeness but I've lived in both countries for a considerable number of years so ably qualified to comment and compare. 

But why does everyone dislike Helena so much, I can only assume it's jealousy.  Like the rest of us, she's only trying to make a living and it's not as if people are forced to read her writing. 

L'etrangere ..I dont think people are jealous I think its more a case of being fed of of reading twaddle like this in the media.. not because she has talent but because she is conected to some one who can get her the job for there own ends ... when there are people on here with more humour and talent than she has in her little finger who if they sent in an article telling the way it really is would not get a look in ... but thats just my opinion

[quote user="Pads"]L'etrangere ..I dont think people are jealous I think its more a case of being fed of of reading twaddle like this in the media.. not because she has talent but because she is conected to some one who can get her the job for there own ends ... when there are people on here with more humour and talent than she has in her little finger who if they sent in an article telling the way it really is would not get a look in ... but thats just my opinion[/quote]

More sense in your reply Pads than in most on here!

[quote user="NormanH"]Nice attempt to avoid my specific questions by accusing me of rudeness..

Can you now answer my question as you are "ably qualified to comment and compare. "

Give definitions and your scale of measurement with references to back it up as valid.

If you can't it is clear  that your arguments are invalid

[/quote]

I would think, NormanH, that having lived in both locations he is more than able to comment...indeed, far more able to comment than you and your googled sources.

I'm guessing that some people on here don't like her because her criticisms of France suggest that their choices are not the rosy idyll that they may have described to their friends and family back in Blighty.

[quote user="Scooby"]

I'm guessing that some people on here don't like her because her criticisms of France suggest that their choices are not the rosy idyll that they may have described to their friends and family back in Blighty.
[/quote]

WRONG altogether.  I don't dislike her as a person.  How can I as I have never met her and am unlikely ever to do so?

AND it's not "her criticisms of France":  she can criticise France or anything else and my reaction would not amount to anything so strong as dislike.

What I CAN'T STAND, however, is her writing.  I know good writing when I read it and  I fail to see any merit whatever in her writing.  Not the style, not the content and certainly not the intellectual vigour.

So there you have it!  It's not personal but I can't stand the sort of flaccid twaddle she pens that, God help us, passes for journalism these days.

So you hate the way she writes!
She is projecting the character nand personality of a thirty something woman who finds fashion to be more important than the more mundane side of life. It is very boreing to be sensable but some of us find it a necessary liability.

Can Daisy really be so niave....or is she playing the part of  the young  actress who took the wrong road in both Alice's wonderland and the Wizard of Oz.

I emailed Daisy but got no reply.

I still dislike all this negativity towards France.

I was reading somewhere...The French Property News!!!!! actually ...that France was best placed  to excit the finacial storm.3 PAGE article.....

Properties are selling.....at least they are in my area Gironde.

Just finished serving dinner.....very tireing....but at least I am working.

[quote user="letrangere"]

But why does everyone dislike Helena so much, I can only assume it's jealousy. 

[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha...I was going to keep quiet as I am coming late to this thread, but really couldn't bypass this comment.

It's just that I choked on my green tea but would like to say thank you for causing such merriment so early in the morning.

HFP's "writing", now there is a topic. [:P]

Scooby I would say...good news for everyone who lives in France....and everyone who owns property in France.

I read the article...did not write it! Once again may I draw attention to the fact that this is a French Forum and the positive side of  everything French should be relevant.

I came here to France just before the world financial crisis.For me it was the best place to carry. on with the work I enjoy and am capable of doing.For those of you happy in UK and able to provide your daily bread....thats great.....choices....

Why should I not be contented to see that my country of residence is doing well?

Maybe I am rather different to Daisy....at least I have the courage to answer the questions which people pose.

[quote user="5-element"][quote user="letrangere"]

But why does everyone dislike Helena so much, I can only assume it's jealousy. 

[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha...I was going to keep quiet as I am coming late to this thread, but really couldn't bypass this comment.
It's just that I choked on my green tea but would like to say thank you for causing such merriment so early in the morning.

HFP's "writing", now there is a topic. [:P]
[/quote]

5-e, lovely to see you in such sparkling form!

Delighted that only the your tea is "green":  no green-eyed monster there, I'm sure.

Now why didn't I think to put her "writing" entre guillemets, comme ça?[:D]