How long?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I hope that someone can clarify a small point.

I am about to start my long-planned move to France and my first task is to spend some time in the country this winter seeking out suitable locations. I had intended to stay for 4 or 5 months using a winter let. However, I have just read that I can only stay for a maximum of 90 days before I have to return home for at least another 90 day period before returning. Is this right?

There was also a reference to the Carte de Sejour which, I must admit, I thought had ceased to exist. It appears that they may be available for longer stays but automatically become defunct if you leave the country for more than 6 months (How would they know?) which seems to defeat the object.

Most grateful if anyone could shed some light.

Thanks for the feedback. The question is certainly not one of residency or tax but of the permitted length of visit. I  suspect that this is a rule still on the books from before the relevant European Union act of free access and so it tends to rear its head from time to time.

I suppose the acid test is - Has anyone (non-resident) ever had a problem with staying for longer than 90 days?  I guess not but I really don't want to get the whole adventure off to a bad start by upsetting the French authorities!