smal money transfers

chirpy

HI,

I want to get some euro and a company I dealt with once last year where i used internet to transfer funds from my bank said I could use my debit card over the phone and transaction takes 1day instead of 3days.

QUESTION .....is this safe and do I have any prorection??

Is it safe, who knows. Which company is it ?

You do have the slight comfort of having dealt with them previously.

Do you have protection ? 

Generally with a debit card NO but then you didn't with the bank transfer you did before.

What does'small' mean and are you in France or UK ?

Why not just use your debit card in a hole in the wall?  You may need to do it over a couple od days - or just maybe weeks - depending on what limits you have on the card.  This at least is risk free - or as close as you're likely to get in the banking world.

We always do this - draw money out of the hold in the wall outside our french bank and then go in and deposit the cash.

instant, simple, no commission, good rate all courtesy of Nationwide.

It took us a while to discover that, although the limit is pretty low (around 400 euros), we can each draw this out every day using our individual cards, even though it is the same Flexaccount.

£1000 is very small money in the FX world and the Nationwide solution was what I was coming to but of course in you don't have an A/C with them and are non UK resident then that avenue, and other similar ones like the UK Post Office or Co-op cards, are pretty well shut to you.

I don't know the particular FX company you mention, I have only ever used Hifx, but your best bet I think would be to do the rounds of term and see who will offer you the best deal. If you tell them that it would be a regular arrangement then they will probably do you a better deal than would with a one off. A better idea, if you have the cash in UK to do it, would be to transfer a larger amount which will get you a better deal.

The Nationwide limit is £300 per day per card BTW, and painfully illustrates the drop in the £ when previously you could get say well over €400 for that as opposed nowadays when it's precious little above €300 [:'(]