which bank

brit

not being very good at the french language we opted for a certain french bank with an "english" subsidary but their charges do seem to be going up  and as a lot of the literature we receuve is in french is their another bank any one can recomend our holiday house is in dept 86.

We're with Banque Populaire and manage not to pay them any charges at all.

Mind you, we don't have a "hole in the wall" card, or a credit card with them.

We continue to use our Nationwide cards for getting cash and for payment in supermarkets and so on.

Nor do we have internet banking since they wanted 3 euros a month for the privilege.

They did get a bit sniffy at one stage and even bluntly told me that they were making no money out of me.

When I got to 60 I arranged for my state pension to be paid directly in to this French account and this seemed to placate them.

Hope this helps.

I guess I am with the same bank and their services in total cost me about ā‚¬60 pa.  I dont mind getting correspondance in French, it gives me another excuse to try to translate and understand the language.  We had one problem last year with a direct debit (not the banks fault as it turned out) and the opportunity to ring up and speak to someone in English when it got complicated was well worth the money.

I bank with Caisse d'Epargne and can recommend it highly. Their online banking is ideal for me, not being in France all the time, but I also have a personal banker at my local branch who has always been incredibly helpful. Plus, they pay interest (now much better than that of my UK bank) on a current account, because they are officially a savings bank.

We also bank with a French Bank with a branch dedicated to us English speakers!

We ship over a fixed sum in euros every month and we have on-line back in the UK and just know it goes to where it should as in CA at Caen. However each month they charge us over 3 euros for sending us a letter confirming what we already know so that is for the chop. Again they charge for sending cheque books through the post?

A letter is on its way to them.

regards