Barclays say retirees time only worth £10 per hour....

Dog

I understand and agree with where Norman is coming from.

Dog, do you really value your retirement time at £75 per hour for doing something (complaining and sticking it to the bank which I am all for) that all of us rich or poor have to do do at some stage just because you believe that you were worth £75 per hour when you worked?

All the people that I have met along lifes journey that liked to talk about how much they earned or how much they were charged out at (which often bears no correlation with worth) were those that did indeed struggle with their identity come retirement or redundancy.

I used to call them Weneyes.

When I ...........

When I ..........

etc etc.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Dog, do you really value your retirement time at £75 per hour for doing something (complaining and sticking it to the bank which I am all for) that all of us rich or poor have to do do at some stage just because you believe that you were worth £75 per hour when you worked?

All the people that I have met along lifes journey that liked to talk about how much they earned or how much they were charged out at (which often bears no correlation with worth) were those that did indeed struggle with their identity come retirement or redundancy.

When I ...........

When I ..........

etc etc.

[/quote]

Good point and amusing but poorly aimed.

I have never been motivated purely by money and the reason I sold up and left UK is because I am not interested in the greedy, flashy, personalised numberplate, triple glazed, multiple buy to let, 6 holidays a year, designer label, golf, fast food, drive to the gym, expensive haircut, new car three times a year, bling, chicago crock cafe, trophy wife, spoiled kids, lads mags, football, leather shoes, plus too much more to mention.

This bank has in the past done me wrongs that it would not have been sensible to fight financialy. Now I have them over the barrel and they will reap what they have sown.  As I am nowhere near retirement age unless I worked for HMG (I cannot even claim my private pension and should I decide to I can return to work) I can prove from my accounts that I have been relatively lenient with my charges to the bank and Odin knows they can afford it.

I realise in the scheme of things we are all ultimately worthless but sometimes we must push our advantage home until the day comes when we can trade shells and beads.

[quote user="Chancer"]

When I ...........

When I ..........

etc etc.

[/quote]

Interestingly, one's leisure pursuits do have some inherant value in litigation: loss of enjoyment and pleasure, for example.

Unfortunately, in the body of English law, forward consideration of loss has never really been taken into account: unless the litigant claiming loss is extremely well-heeled and can thereby employ top lawyers and has something readily definable to claim as a loss.

In the USA, of course, which legal system is founded on English law and precedent, they have the benefit of Punitive Damages. Which we do not.

Thus a retiree who has been forced to expend pleasurable time to force an erring defendant to ante up is rarely taken into account.

And IMHO it ought to be.

Whilst I do agree in substance with Chancer's ethos, I myself find that most retirees who actually did something of value, rather than simply acted as "Wage Slaves", tend to go on to do other things of value and usefulness, post official retirement. Mainly since they have much still to offer; be that cold, hard experience.

I have one close chum who seems to have totally lost his marbles, since effective retirement: as a very successful businessman, he sold up and headed for the sun and since then has atrophied: his sole activities being eating out and growing fat, and spending time online each day and sending out increasingly puerile "Round Robin" trying to be funny Emails, 90+% of which involve young naked women.

Now for me, that is seriously sad...............

Gluestick your friend is just making up for lost time.

Let's face it without laziness man would still be sitting in a cave - laziness brought about transportation, tools and all lifes luxuries.

Meanwhile please ask him to put me on his 90% email list.