CA not accepting cash deposit

Gardengirl

I saved up my loose change for a couple of years and used it to pay the 25% deposit on my house in 1984.

Mind you to achieve this I only spent notes and saved all the change including the £1 coins, so I would use a £5 note to buy a 25p coffee and put £4.75 in the piggy bank.

Back to the original thread.....

Our bank Banque Populaire in Boulogne sur Gesse stopped taking cash over the counter a little while back. To get to the cashier it was via two doors that you had to signal you wanted admittance and they would release the first and, once inside the first the same process for the second - which seemed fairly secure.

Now, you now just enter via the first door and place the cash in an envelope and deposit it in a 'drawer' and this is available from early in the morning to late at night. The longer hours are more convenient.

Paul

Does anyone find this practice a little unprofessional to take cash in an envelope unchecked and expect to get the same paid into your account without error. This is so risky it makes me cringe. There was someone posted on here about a discrepancy once I think, and if there is, tough luck.

This bothers me too, Georgina.  In my branch, I always get a member of staff to count with me when I deposit cash (and use their card to get into the machine.)  But they know me and are very pleasant - I don't get such good service further afield or in larger branches.

I'm sorely tempted to bank some money and write a larger amount on the slip just to see what would happen!

I pay most fo my bills by mandate at la Poste, most of the girls behind the counterneed several attempts at counting the money before they finally agree that I have indeed given them the right amount, some even refuse to recheck it wherupon I ask for it back and rejoin the queue for another cassiere.

They also get  shirty when I ask them to please count the money on the counter where I can see it, not hidden away underneath on their desk.