How to fill in your French tax form

Judith

[quote user="David"]

Many thanks Ame, will enter them tomorrow.

Has SD come up with the definitive exchange rate yet, so I can complete my forms?

Thanks,

David.

[/quote]

Hi,

The "definitive " rate is 1.125, but you should only use it when you don't know the actual rate for the day you first received the income (ie. interest credited to a UK Acc. or sterling pension paid into a UK bank). You can find daily rates on www.xe.com -historic charts. As the "official" rate is not an average ,but the 31 Dec rate, and is a bit high this year, it may be worth the effort to find the real rate.

Each year we follow the same system. The form came Monday,I had already written out our income per month,pensions,annuity, and yearly interest plus lump from plot sale. 5 minutes down the road to the Hotel des Impots,about a 10 minute wait,the tax lady read all my figures,entered them into relevant boxes,we signed the form and left. The easist way in dealing with any bureau ,health,tax CdC is to go to the office. After dealing with UK Tax Office,it's almost a pleasure.

Sorry didn't make my post too clear. Don't put  total in 2047 Section VIII just the writing stating 121 but does that mean also leave total  out of Box 8TL on 2042.

Answer would be great as then I am off to had in to Mme Impot [:D]

Hope that is better explained !!

I always drew money out of my Nationwide account the day after it went in, that way I got the exchange rate on my statement almost immediately. So I then wrote all the monthly exchange rates down ready for my tax return. My average over 2009 came out at 1.1108, so that's what I'm using.

tuppence

[quote user="bubble"]Sorry didn't make my post too clear. Don't put  total in 2047 Section VIII just the writing stating 121 but does that mean also leave total  out of Box 8TL on 2042.

Answer would be great as then I am off to had in to Mme Impot [:D]

Hope that is better explained !!

[/quote]

Hi,

NO, on no account put anything in TL on 2042---in fact put your E121 note alongside AS/BS on 2042 and put nothing on 2047 except on page 1 "pensions rentes ...etc"

The tax FAQ recommends that you put your 'E-form' explanation under section VIII on the 2047 because having entered foreign earnings/pension in section I, you'd normally be expected to enter the same amount in section VIII for the CRDS charge.  The tax office are likely to regard a blank section VIII as an omission and (incorrectly) fill in box TL for you, so it's logical to put the explanation there.

It seems to have worked for everyone over the past two years.....[;-)]

• 2 weeks later...
What about if you're on an E121 but only in name (due to hubby being on incapacity benefit- he does not actually receive any money they just pay his stamp - which is paid up anyway due to 30+years employment). Do we have to state anywhere on the 2047 or 2042????

Suey

Im sorry if this is a silly question, but when Im on holiday/annual leave, where am I earning my money from and who do I pay tax to for that time when I am on holiday?

I live and work in France for a UK company but also spend some of my time working in the UK and for those days when I am physically in the UK working I pay UK income tax. I therefore need to determine a daily rate figure for my tax calculation purposes.

If I include days when Im on Holiday in my Total Days worked figure, my daily gross earnings rate goes down and therefore so does my UK Taxable Income and of course my French Taxable income goes up.

Last year I excluded all time spent on holiday from my calcs as I thought it was fairer but I want to make sure going forward I am doing the right thing.

Apologies if im making this unnecessarily complicated and missing a much easier work around.

Andy

From the basic information you have given, it sounds as if your primary residence is in France. You are correctly taxed in GB on your income for the time you spend in GB.

When you are on leave, you are not working, so your holiday pay would most likely be taxable in the country of normal residence. i.e. France.

It's probably worth a check through the recently-amended UK/France double taxation agreement just to be certain. It's not the easiest document to follow.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/france.pdf

Sorry to be a complete pain in the posterior, but I have been looking through the French Tax FAQs and find that it says that with regard to Property rented out in UK -

Rental Income from UK

Property

Q         

I have a house in the UK that I rent out.  Tax is

deducted from the rent in the UK, do I need to fill out a French tax

return.

A          UK property rental income is

covered by the UK/France Dual Taxation Treaty in the same way as public

sector pensions mentioned above, so whilst it is taxed in the UK, it

still needs to be declared in France because it's taken into account for

determining your overall French tax rate.

So, on form 2047, your gross rental income

goes in section VII. REVENUS EXONÉRÉS PRIS EN COMPTE POUR

LE CALCUL DU TAUX EFFECTIF - the form explains which figures go where.  
You

then transfer the total to box TI on your form 2042.

Note that income taxed in the UK under

the Dual Taxation Treaty is not subject to French social charges.

Now is this for furnished or unfurnished, I normally put my rent received from UK property on Form 2047 Section III and then on 2042

Page 3 - 4 REVENUES FONCIERS

Enter the gross amount of your UK

property rental income in box BE.  This will generate the tax

(chargeable at a rate of 25% after an automatic 60% flat rate deduction)

plus the social charges

Now I am confused - my property is unfurnished and I pay tax on it in the UK.

Suey

Hi all, I have just successfully completed our tax form online. This was made much easier as I used igoogle and translated the form into English. I would recommend this way of completing the forms for anyone who is not fluent in French as I am not.

Good luck all.

Super Sue Limoges