Type 1 diabetes questions

pspspscal

Hello everyone!

I am going to France to work as a PhD student. As far as I understand, since I will pay taxes from my salary, I will have access to the French healthcare system. I have type 1 diabetes and have a few questions related. I will be grateful for any piece of advice, help, or links where I can find this information.

1. How does the process of diabetes drug prescription work in France? Should I visit an endocrinologist or a general practitioner? Should I visit them every time I need to get insulin (for example, every month), or are their prescriptions long-term?
  2. What can I get as a diabetes person involved in the French healthcare system besides insulin? Test strips for glucometer, needles, lancets? Particularly, I am curious about the possibility of getting a Glucose Monitoring System, e.g. Freestyle Libre. I wonder if the state insurance covers these sensors?
  3. How do doctors decide which insulin you can get? If I just say that Novorapid and Lantus work better for me than other insulin types (such as Fiasp, Humalog, and Levemir), will the doctor agree to prescribe them to me? Will be translated proofs (I am from outside of the EU), such as my endocrinologist' notes, enough?
  4. How is it going with diabetes check-ups? I am interested in blood tests, ultrasound, ophthalmologist and neurologist visits. For example, in my country, I have blood and urine tests every 6 months (or even every 3 months) and eye checks once a year. I am interested if it works the same way in France.

I will be grateful for your help and answers. 

Merci beaucoup!

Make sure you have a complete health record to bring with you. And medication for a few weeks. Register with the French health service and get a health card.

Find a French GP who will guide you on the next steps. As you have a long term condition your medical treatment and medication should be pretty well free.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pspspscal said:

Hello everyone!

I am going to France to work as a PhD student. As far as I understand, since I will pay taxes from my salary, I will have access to the French healthcare system. I have type 1 diabetes and have a few questions related. I will be grateful for any piece of advice, help, or links where I can find this information.

1. How does the process of diabetes drug prescription work in France? Should I visit an endocrinologist or a general practitioner? Should I visit them every time I need to get insulin (for example, every month), or are their prescriptions long-term?

You will probably have to see an endocrinologist the first time, but after that you GP will be able to write your prescriptions for you, in the first instance renewable 3 times. You will be covered 100% as someone with an ALD (affection de longue durée)

1. What can I get as a diabetes person involved in the French healthcare system besides insulin? Test strips for glucometer, needles, lancets? Particularly, I am curious about the possibility of getting a Glucose Monitoring System, e.g. Freestyle Libre. I wonder if the state insurance covers these sensors?

Your test strips, lancettes, needles, glucometer  and stylo (if you use insulin cartridges) are free and included in the prescription.  Freestyle libres are also free in France, but it must be your endocrinologist who prescribes this. 

1. How do doctors decide which insulin you can get? If I just say that Novorapid and Lantus work better for me than other insulin types (such as Fiasp, Humalog, and Levemir), will the doctor agree to prescribe them to me? Will be translated proofs (I am from outside of the EU), such as my endocrinologist' notes, enough?

No experience of this, but if you have already tried others, then translated notes or prescriptions should be OK. Novorapid and Lantus are usually the default insulin choices.

1. How is it going with diabetes check-ups? I am interested in blood tests, ultrasound, ophthalmologist and neurologist visits. For example, in my country, I have blood and urine tests every 6 months (or even every 3 months) and eye checks once a year. I am interested if it works the same way in France.

Blood checks are usually every 3 months, or 6 months if your HbAC1 results are good and stable. Eye checks are about one every 2 years, and heart checks about the same.  All are covered 100% by the state.

I will be grateful for your help and answers. 

Merci beaucoup!

Edited by betise
clarity
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, betise said:

On 07/09/2023 at 00:10, anotherbanana said:

Make sure you have a complete health record to bring with you. And medication for a few weeks. Register with the French health service and get a health card.

Find a French GP who will guide you on the next steps. As you have a long term condition your medical treatment and medication should be pretty well free.

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your attention to my post and your answers! They sound reassuring.

I do appreciate your help. 

Cheers!😊

for diabetes care, it's pretty impressive how the French healthcare system covers essential supplies. Back in my hometown, I knew people who had to jump through hoops to get the right medications and supplies, so it's a relief to hear that France typically has good coverage.

One thing I'd recommend is keeping all your medical records organized. It might sound like a chore, but having a clear history of your diabetes treatment can make things smoother when discussing treatment options with your new healthcare team.