Credit Agricole -worth the hassle?

Bob T

We've had reasonable service from some CA staff and downright hopeless experiences with others (one in particular), unless they were wanting us to take out cards - and presumably they would get something from that. As our branch no longer touches filthy lucre, we don't have much contac with staff, just machines. They seem to work OK!  [:)].

I'm always surprised by how poor service can be, compared to the very good service we get in small local shops, cafés and restaurants!

[quote user="gardengirl "]

We've had reasonable service from some CA staff and downright hopeless experiences with others (one in particular), unless they were wanting us to take out cards - and presumably they would get something from that. As our branch no longer touches filthy lucre, we don't have much contac with staff, just machines. They seem to work OK!  [:)].

I'm always surprised by how poor service can be, compared to the very good service we get in small local shops, cafés and restaurants!

[/quote]

You're SO right GG;

One the same day as I went into the bank to enquire where we were up to with my replacement bank card (previous one had randomly stopped working and eventually been eaten by a machine) and had been met with stone-faced indifference and galic shrugs. I took my wife and two jolly ladies we know off for a drive and lunch in a nearby town. We spotted a restaurant, parked and walked back, only to discover that  - whilst open - they were not serving (either they were renovating, or had a party booking) not only was the owner desolee she couldn't a serve us, but she took the trouble to phone a restaurant a couple of miles away, check they had a table, what the plat du jour was, but then walk me to the corner (with much jesticulating) to ensure I was going to head off in the right direction.

The contrast couldn't have been more marked!

[quote user="Chris"]On this thread - has anyone had dealings with La Poste and can they say what their problems are?[/quote]

Often poor exchange rates and a very long time taken to credit payments from overseas, also the fact that the local postmistress (who in our case happens to run the postal bank etc alongside the bar, pizza parlour and tabac) potentially has access to your financial details.

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH CREDIT AGRICOLE, TELEPHONE THEIR ENGLISH SPEAKING SERVICE.  Although based in Caen, they deal with the whole of France.

NATIONAL TELEPHONE NUMBER : 02 31 55 69 69

This is a very friendly and efficient service.  I have nothing but praise for the staff at the service, such as Mark and Marieke.  Over the past year or so, I have been using this service to open and close accounts for my family, sort out problems (e.g. how to cancel a stolen card), answer queries about my bank statement etc.  When opening accounts for my four children, they rang ahead to the branch so that when I called in, all the paperwork was already there.

They are pro-active as well.  When I last contacted them for information, they suggested a special account for me, which provides a great rate of interest - something that I wouldn't have thought about otherwise.

Please try the service yourself.  It is like having a personal banker.

I have to agree with Cathy. Though we live in Lot et Garonne we are able to carry out normal banking with CA Britline, via the internet ,and e-mail any queries. We always have a reply, at the latest, by the following day. I have nothing but praise for the service and the staff involved.

It may be a good idea to have an English speaking helpline, but that does not help much when their French staff shrug their shoulders.

My problem has now been resolved, they have issued another new card and it is at the branch waiting to be collected. I never had any explanation for what has happened to the card that I ordered about 8 to 10 weeks ago, nor any apology.

[quote user="Bob T"]It may be a good idea to have an English speaking helpline, but that does not help much when their French staff shrug their shoulders.

My problem has now been resolved, they have issued another new card and it is at the branch waiting to be collected. I never had any explanation for what has happened to the card that I ordered about 8 to 10 weeks ago, nor any apology.

[/quote]

It does help.  I started with the helpline when I had a major problem - money being taken from my bank account annually without an explanation.  My local bank manager just shrugged his shoulders when I met him about it.  So I rang the English speaking helpline and eventually, they got me a refund for 4 years' charges that had been taken from my account in error.

Even now, you could ring them up and say that you are unhappy.  They can investigate it.

When purchasing my French house in 2003 I set up a bank account with CA Britline on the recommendation of a friend. The procedure was very straightforward. In the ensuing years I have experienced regular transactions by post and on-line. In addition, my local CA branch in Normandy has been helpful and efficient.

I feel sorry for the problems that other people have experienced with CA but on a positive note we have been with CA at their branch in Mazieres en Gatine (79) since moving here over 2 years ago and have had no problems whatsoever. All the staff there are really friendly and helpful even the manager!

The last time I went in was to sort out a code confidential to get online access and I was told it would come through in a week but it arrived 2 days later.

I guess a lot depends on which branch you bank with.

I guess a lot of people like me joined Britline as it was aimed at UK people and was relatively easy to work with.

When in France we spend most of our time in the Loire Valley and Vaucluse and there are certainly some issues when your are away from your "home" branch but on balance we have been satisfied with their service over the last several years.  I have also found their staff in La Fleche (72) to be more helpful than you might expect.......