Overseas wire transfer to CA

Aidie

How long does it usually take for a wire transfer (around 8,000 Euros) from outside the EU to my France Aquitaine CA account online?

I did my first transfer this morning and getting twitchy as it's not showing up 9 hours later (compared with transfers to my HSBC UK account, which show up within hours).

[quote user="tonyv"]Whenever I make a transfer of that kind from the UK, it takes two to three days to show up. I'd say it's definitely a bit early to start panicking!

[/quote]

Thanks, I'll relax and put the whiskey away for the time being, then...

We have a monthly transfer from the UK via HIFX.  Up until about 9 months ago, the money used to hit our CA a/c about 3-4 hours after my receipt of an email from HIFX saying that they had released it.

Now, it takes 2 working days, a matter over which I have complained .................. to no avail, of course. HIFX have reassured me that the raft of transactions that they release in this way is essentially 'cleared funds' and that there should be no reason for delay. So, the receiving bank is now hanging on to the money for a couple of extra days and if a weekend intervenes, then it's two more.

I'd guess that you'll see the money on Tuesday, ah but .................... it's a Bank Holiday on Monday, so probably Wednesday.[:'(] 

Gardian I'd be very interested to know more about this. .

Like lots of Nationwide customers I suspect, I am looking for a different way of transferring money over here to our CA account.

When you say 'each month' do you mean that you have set up a standing order or do you do a separate transaction each month? Is that what is meant by 'electronic transfer'?

We have Barclay , Santander and Nationwide accounts with debit cards but billing addresses for those are here in France- does this pose a problem ?

Sorry for all these very basic questions but really that is where I am at!  Any advise would be most welcome.

Sue

[quote user="suej"]

Gardian I'd be very interested to know more about this. .

[/quote]

Sue ............

This is the regular payments service that HIFX offers (and I suspect most of the other money brokers).

At the outset, you set up an account with them (all pretty painless I seem to remember) and then 'buy' your currency for the coming year (or two) upfront at whatever the rate is at that point in time. Typically, you'll get 3 points (centimes) less than the prevailing interbank rate: thus, when I did my annual deal in late-September and the interbank rate was £1 = €1.20, my deal was for €1.17.

Every month (for us it's the 12th), our UK clearing bank a/c is direct debited with the mthly sterling value and about 5 working days later, the euros hit our CA a/c. Never had a problem in 6 years of using the service.

Plusses: For better or worse, you 'know where you are' each month. It's reliable. They ring you annually to renew the contract: all done over the phone, no fuss.

Minuses: You have to pay one month's 'deposit', together with the first month's payment at the outset. Every year, you feel as though you're gambling with a lot of money, i.e. if I hang on for another week, will I get another centime or two?

It works for us, but others clearly prefer other methods.   

Jazzer, surprised that you are using Nat west. I have a nat west a\c in Uk and when I approached them for moving money over in a large sum and monthly, they always offered me at least 2 cents below Moneycorp. This month I also moved the sale of our house money over £200,000 and they could only offer 1.06 where as Money corp/HI FX were 1.12. Even on small amounts Moneycorp\hifx come out better and dont charge £23 for the pleasure either. Just a friendly bit of advice.

[quote user="Gardian"]

[quote user="Aidie"]

Thanks, I'll relax and put the whiskey away for the time being, then...

[/quote]

Just as a matter of interest, has it turned up yet?

[/quote]

Yes. Panic over. Sent Friday and arrived Tuesday/Wednesday.