car insurance

johnycarper

I was told my Insurance company required two months written notice sent recorded delivery. However talking to several agents to obtain alternative quotes they advised me that if I insured with them, then they could deal with the Insurance company and cancel on my behalf as long as there was a few days between the new insurance starting. Once the renewal date arrives there is no cancelling unless you sell the car!

[quote user="just john "]I was told my Insurance company required two months written notice sent recorded delivery. However talking to several agents to obtain alternative quotes they advised me that if I insured with them, then they could deal with the Insurance company and cancel on my behalf as long as there was a few days between the new insurance starting. Once the renewal date arrives there is no cancelling unless you sell the car![/quote]

When I changed from the le mans cowboys they did just that; their computer spat out a pro-forma letter of resiliation for me to sign.

Hi - I think that you can cancel your insurance if the increase is above inflation by giving notice (recommandé etc) within 20 days from the date of their demand. As other posts have confirmed, this can be done by the new insurer. If the increase is only within inflation, then I don't think notice can legitimately be given outside the two months before law.

UaG

[quote user="Un autre Gallois"]Hi - I think that you can cancel your insurance if the increase is above inflation by giving notice (recommandé etc) within 20 days from the date of their demand. As other posts have confirmed, this can be done by the new insurer. If the increase is only within inflation, then I don't think notice can legitimately be given outside the two months before law. UaG[/quote]

When I recently received notice of my new house insurance from the bank, I obtained an alternative quote from the agent who deals with all my other insurances who told me I had 20 days from the renewal notice to change company's. He said that the 2 month rule had altered sometime ago and no longer applied..

He arranged my new insurance and wrote to the bank cancelling their insurance.

At the same time I asked about the renewal of my car insurance (which coincides with the house ins.) and received a 15% reduction on that premium as well. I saved 135 euros that day.