Credit Agricole bank charges

Shoop

I,ve just recieved a end of year statement from CA with what appears to be charges of 67,20 euro for "Cotisation CSCA serenite annuel"is this charge for card insurance or for the annual running of our account ?. Incidently we were offered  bank cards  last year and went into our local CA branch and had them cut them up and explained we didn,t ask or require them, we,re not over in France for another 5 weeks and would like to have an understanding of this charge before going back to the bank, any comments apreciated.....shoop

If you strip out the cards and other add-ons (CA have a nasty habit of charging for a newsletter which you need to watch) then it's free with quite a few banks, if you do most things on line.  There are charges for some direct debits (non untilites) but otherwise it is possible to avoid paying.  The problem is the bank card is so useful - but if you have one each, for example, why not consider sharing - that will reduce the fees somewhat?

Thankyou for your responses ,and now understand the annual charge is for my " serenite account." I use this account on line to pay utility bills,insurance,and council tax,s only, so havn,t applied for a bank card to support it.So the question i ask is this an upgraded account or is there a CA account which would serve my purposes without a charge? As suggested i could shop around and have noticed a HSBC branch in Carcassonne but have been fairly happy with the service i,ve received from CA

The best thing to do is go into your CA branch with a list of your requirements - cheque book, standing orders and online access - and nothing else - no magazines, no insurance etc. Prepare for them to be amazed that you don't want their many other wonderful products. Stay firm and ask them to write down the the cost of the modified requirements. If it seems too much ask for a breakdown. Take it from there.......

[quote user="Shoop"]... is this an upgraded account or is there a CA account which would serve my purposes without a charge? As suggested i could shop around and have noticed a HSBC branch in Carcassonne but have been fairly happy with the service i,ve received from CA[/quote]

It seems you have a Compte Service (package account) and what you need is a Compte de Dépôt à Vue ( basic account), which is available in all banks.

You don't need to leave your bank to have one, just ask for your account to be changed.

It is in the bank's interest to steer you towards their package account and they might raise all sorts of reasons why you shouldn't change, but simply explain what you need.

I have a basic account with CA and the only account charge I pay is for my MasterCard.