Tax d`Habitation/Fonciere

johnycarper

Can anyone help please as we have friends who went back to England earlier this year and were told at the sale of their house that they will have to pay next years taxes.I have said that i cannot believe that you will be liable for someone else's taxes,can anyone confirm for me please to put their mind at rest. 

Assuming that the sale went through after 1st Jan this year, they will have to pay the TdH bill and TF bill that have arrived/will arrive this autumn. The proportioning between vendor and purchaser should have been taken care of in the sale process and may have resulted in an adjustment to the amount which was paid over to them.

Regards

Pickles

As Pickles said, not next years bill, just if they owned the house on the 1st of Jan. And then it is only the taxe fonciere that is usually shared, using the number of days each was in possession on the property based on the previous years bill.

[quote user="nomoss"]It is customary in some parts, but the Foncières is only shared if the buyer agrees to this in the Acte de Vente.[/quote]

exactly if it isn't mentioned in the paper work; then the property owner on Jan 1st cops for the full year's bill.