We are going over to Deux Sevres as a part of our House Hunting this summer. Staying at a campsite just outside Parthenay. Noted with some concern that most of the posts on this forum lead to the view that for whatever reason, Deux Sevres does not seem to be as 'popular' as the other depts! (this may of course be an entirely good thing!). Has anyone on here looked at the dept and decided against? Views like this might be very helpful in our investigation. We like what we've seen so far (several holidays in and around 16/17/85/86/79 areas, but it would be nice to find out some of the 'down-side' - as I'm sure there must be. Any help appreciated.

ian L

Hi

We are moving to Vasles, about 19km from Parthenay as from the end of June. We think it is a great area, people very friendly, especially when my husband was taken ill when first property hunting last year in the area.

Go for it, my husband is over there at the moment working on our smallholding getting the stabling sorted for our horses, my brother in law is with him first time in the area and can't get over how great the area is and how friendly the people. So if you are near Parthenay there are some lovely small villages around and also St Maxient L'Ecole has lots to do and good selection of Immobiliers for property.

Best of luck and any more info needed please feel free to contact

Karen

>We are going over to Deux
>Sevres as a part of
>our House Hunting this summer.
> Staying at a campsite
>just outside Parthenay. Noted
>with some concern that most
>of the posts on this
>forum lead to the view
>that for whatever reason, Deux
>Sevres does not seem to
>be as 'popular' as the
>other depts!

You jest???? There are a huge number of Brits here - there just dont seem to be many on the forum. Our village for example has apparently 12 Brit owned houses according to the maire (population 280) Parthenay has an organisation to help Brits and other foreigners integrate (not being in that area I dont have any further details) Wherever I go I am constantly being told how many other Britsh clients/ customers there are (restaurants, chemist, vets, car repair garage) I am always asked if I know them and mostly dont because we dont go out of our way to meet Brits (nor to avoid them either) One of our English neighbours always approaches anyone she hears speaking English in the supermarket or bricolage and knows dozens of her compatriates. I believe that some places have more formal methods of enabling Brits to get together (clubs, associations etc)
I think Deux Sevres is favoured because it is not so far from Caen and St Malo but has a climate that is reputed to be second for sunshine to the Med. The winter is neither as mild as the Med nor as severe as some other regions of France. House prices have really moved up hugely in the last 2 years especially in the type of house that every British buyer seems to be looking for - old with lots of land.
Good luck - hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy the region

We have been to Parthenay and Bressuire house hunting, both places really lovely towns, People very friendly and helpfull.
House prices weren't too bad when we were looking two years ago -not sure what there like now.
We eventually found house on the border of Deux Sevres/Vendee close to Vouvant north of Fontenay le compte. getting to know the area quite well now!
Good luck with your house hunting - hope all goes well.

Angie (85)

In Praise of Deux Sevres!

We bought a holiday home in 79 three years ago. Wed been looking in the Saumur/Chinon areas but an agent took us to a property in the northernmost corner of 79 which was perfect. We had not previously considered this area. We now have the advantage of being only 20 minutes drive from Saumur, without passing through a single set of traffic lights on the way, but also have the rural tranquillity wed been seeking whilst still in a delightful village with all amenities including a superb restaurant.

Our nearest town is Thouars, which has everything we could possibly need. Perhaps not the prettiest of towns, it does have a nice old town area but also a huge out of town shopping mall and several big bricolage stores and a wonderful market on Fridays.

I dont know why a correspondent to this forum gave a no-no to Parthenay. We quite like it, and there is plenty of history to see. We have some very pretty villages in our immediate area, Oiron (our own, with its wonderful chateau and its own wine!), St-Jouin-de-Marnes (with its amazing church and leafy square), St-Loup Lamaire (very pretty with the river Thouet running through), Airvault (historic and with its Voltaire connection) to name just a few. Do check them out!

In March we let our house in the UK, my husband retired 3 years early, and we are now living here and carrying out work to the house. It is fantastic to get away from the rat race.

Perhaps the only problem with moving here is if you are hoping to work. It would be very difficult to find employment in a rural area.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck!

Diane Rolph

Hi Ian
The people are lovely, food is excellent, it's not too overcrowded in the Summer, has brilliant weather...... I could go on, but I think the main reason the many Brits living in the DS are keeping so quiet is that they don't want what they have got to be ruined by a huge influx of Brits, Dutch and Parisians.
It used to be one of the best value for money regions to buy property in - not any more. The prices are soaring.
If you like the area, go for it.
Hope this helps
Sasha

• 2 weeks later...
I do a lot of work in the western area and the countryside is gorgeous but the facilites are not great and many of the hamlets and villages are almost entirely British and many are absent landlords. For example, many villages no longer have even a boulangerie, standard in most French villages or even a bar or tabac. Some people might find this a positive thing but not me. The decision depends on what you are looking for in your French hideaway and, especially if you have kids, what you will expect for them. Remember, just like in England, the price of the property will reflect closely the available facilities and entertainments and the idea of a hidden rural retreat might seem attractive in the hurly burly of English life but, two years down the line (and again, especially if you have kids) it quickly begins to lose it's gloss. Having said that, the countryside is fantastic and there are some great deals to be had so good luck with your hunt.

Thanks to everyone who replied. You have given me some food for thought, as well as highlighting a number of places to visit which we might have missed! We are heading over the channel at the end of July and will be over there until mid-september. Not all in Deux-Sevres as we have friends living just outside Angouleme and will be there for a spell, as well as time on Ile de Re and some time in Saumur. I will write again when I get back.

ian L