Tax fonciere

Mr Coeur de Lion

If you still own it on 1st January you will be liable to pay both taxes in  October/November 2012.

The Notaire may apportion a percentage to each party and invite the buyer to pay his share, but you will still be responsible for paying the bill in 2012. You will simply have received a contributions from the new owner around the time of purchase.

I hope that your sale goes through before 2012. Best wishes with the tenant situation

I dont think you should cancel your direct debit Richard as the payments you are making and will make are towards last years taxes, as you said paid in arrears. What throws people especially me is that the bill for the year is not issued for 9 months.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Good, I can cancel the direct debit and hope my house sells by this time next year then.[/quote]

It beggars belief how my post should make you jump to that conclusion.

The liability to both TF and Td'H accrue on the 1st Jan 2011.

And then again on 1st Jan 2012.

Shall I continue with a proof by induction for later years.

Looks like you are searching for an administrative nail to impale in your foot.

I'm confused then? The taxe fonciere for 2012 will be due to be paid around October 2012, won't it? If so, I would rather hold off paying until then.

The direct debit I have been paying since January is for 2011. This is the first year I have paid by direct debit and I remember paying 2010's fonciere last October. So logic dictates nothing to pay til next October if I cancel the dd now.

And I've still heard nothing from my tenant, the git.

I was incorrect, when you pay by DD you have to settle the current years debt by mid October and then pretty soon after start paying in advance the as yet unquantified next years bills, so I reckon that yes you can do as you want to but just make sure that you have a zero balance with them.

Also make sure that they know that it will be your tenant not you who will be imposable for the taxe d'habitation in 2012.

Good luck, you will probably find that they carry on debitting it anyway and the bank will carry on paying it [:(]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I'm confused then? The taxe fonciere for 2012 will be due to be paid around October 2012, won't it? If so, I would rather hold off paying until then.

The direct debit I have been paying since January is for 2011. This is the first year I have paid by direct debit and I remember paying 2010's fonciere last October. So logic dictates nothing to pay til next October if I cancel the dd now.

And I've still heard nothing from my tenant, the git.[/quote]

You are right that there will  be nothing to pay until October 2012 for that year, but the point is that it will be the full bill. You may have been given a proportion by the new owner(supposing you sell) but it is still you who pay.

Yep, I'm aware it'll be the full bill (think it's an extra 8 euros I'll have to pay if I pay it next year).

No that's fine, gives me a year to get the money over to my account in France, by which time hopefully it will have sold anyway. The annual amount is only 333 euros, and I don't care if I pay it all so long as someone buys my house.

Thanks for getting it clear in my mind.

Trouble is that these bills are going up and sometimes by a lot, so it could be far more than 8 euros you pay. Also, the new buyers, hopefully you'll have one, will only pay their contribution based on 2011's taxe fonciere and not 2012's. And in reality they don't actually have to pay anything. The bill really is down to the owner.

Up to you to decide if you want to pay a lump next year or keep your monthly payments up.

When I cancelled my prelevement, I did it on line and printed a receipt and it worked for Taxe d'hab, Taxe Fonciere and Impots.