Agree with everyone - great to have the new section and my anally-retentive OH who measures everything was pleased to advise that it's exactly 2 miles further thant the "old" route from Rouen to the A10 via Dreux, Chartres etc.and yet, as other posters have said, it still saves an hour! However, anyone else bemused by the fact that a couple of stretches of the new bit are ONE lane sections???? Wonder how they'll cope in the summer rush??[*-)]

I assume you refer to the one-lane section just north of Le Mans? That's been open for several years, and even after the mad rush north after the Le Mans 24 Hours rarely seems to cause any problems.

The A28 section from Alençon to Rouen opened at the end of October, and those heading north to Caen should be aware that the signage will direct you to the exit just north-east of Sées, where you will then be sent further along the old road towards Rouen before being directed left, via Haras du Pin, to re-link with the familiar Caen-Sées road just north of Argentan. It is far quicker to ignore those signs and either . . . get off at the previous junction (Alençon nord) and use the N138 (mostly dual carriageway) to Sées, or ignore the signs at the new junction and turn left, heading back towards Sées and the N138. Travellers from the north, leaving Caen, will be directed to the older junction at Alençon anyway, so won't encounter this "problem".

Just before Christmas the A28 motorway south of Le Mans, which previously ended at Ecommoy, was also opened through to Tours, finally making an unbroken link between the A28 with the A10. That was several months ahead of schedule. 

Two further links remain "under construction". The A88 motorway link from Sées to Falaise progresses well, with work currently being concentrated on a new viaduct over the valley just outside Falaise. I believe that is due to open in two stages at the end of this year and then fully in early 2007. The second is the A85 motorway beween Tours and Saumur (A11/Angers), which currently ends abruptly near Bourgueil. A gap of about 20 kilometers remains through the Loire Valley and is due to open next year.