Private House sale

We have decided in the Spring of 2010 to sell our lovely home but of course sales depends upon buyers so we are not really thinking positive simply negative and taking into account the present market place. We could be here forever but one thing is certain that the house will be priced to sell.

If we sell we probably may move further south but then again there are demands upon our time in the UK and with grandchildren and the like.

Whatever.

I thought it was on this site that someone posted a link to the range of 'free' web sites that you can list your house for sale.

Does anyone please have this link?

thanks

Dear Norman

Thanks for that. In our case we have lived in France for some considerable time and really 'well' into the system and thus warts and all its our life and we live here.

After 35 years of travelling through France we 'think' we also know the South and its not simply weather that is a driver. Here in the Vendee during the winter in our village all you need is Clint Eastwood at the top of the street.

I moved so many times in my career that its more than second hand and indeed we may return to the UK.

It depends:

What we will do though is to take all reasonable precautions before either we move further south or back to the UK.

I suppose what would be ideal is a place say outside Aix and then we would have the benefit of what that city offers or Bordeaux who knows. If I cannot sell here then we will simply rent it out terminate the lease on our UK house with the tenant and move back.

So lots of opportunities.

We used to live in the North and now recognise that had lots of attractions and in part we are sorry now to have left.

Still it is life is it not.

Dragon, we have a house less than an hour from Bordeaux.  Lots of things to do in Bordeaux and the climate here is (usually) superb!

You'd have to come and visit...............

I agree about the north and that's why I want to move there.  But, I agree, Aix would be enchanting.  Not a problem for you, I know, but I don't think we ourselves could possibly afford to live there.

Yes, Aix and the area around is wonderful. We were at the Aix Christmas market last week, and had a lovely day out. There is such a lot going on there, and I expect there is in Bordeaux too. There are lots of small scale things going on that we enjoy in our little town, and have Nimes and Montpellier not so far away when we need more.

GG, I don't know Aix at all, never having been there.  But, I know all about the Aix music festival in the summer and what I'd give to live near there in the summer!

Also, I managed to catch a couple of operas on French TV this summer live from Orange............I sigh and think about all the fab things I used to go to in London but, there again, I live here now and my closest to any bit of culture is Madame la Voisine calling to tell me that eggs have gone up yet again in Carrefour.

I'm not really complaining.  I get Radio 3 and Arte on the TV and, if things work out, and we buy a house further north, a trip to London now and again would not be out of the question.

GG, I know you aren't sleeping and I'm thinking of you.  [kiss]

Hi Sweet 17 As you are well aware I am from the Rhondda Valley and I have not lost sight of my roots never ever will that happen.

I am not well heeled and it is simply a case of thinking aloud as to where I would like to live not the fact that I am able to live there.

We too are being hit like many others as being paid in £ and then here into euros. When I bought my first house in 2001 the rate was 1.675!

I have two brothers in the Rhondda who bought their council houses and would never move from there and they could buy and sell me ten times over. But they are true sons of the Rhondda. I do not think I could move back to the Rhondda or indeed Chepstow where I spent over 30 years of my life.

One can dream as to where one would like to live reality is totally another differing thing.

Now to the bank to see if it will give me money today so we can have lunch!

You're right, Dragon, I don't think I could live in the Rhondda.  Rains too much.  Was driving in Porth one evening and the drain covers on the roads were lifting themselves with the water that was whooshing about under them.

You're right again about dreaming where one would ideally like to live.  Nice to think "what if".........

If I won the lottery, I think I'd retain a foothold in France and also have a flat near the Lincoln Centre in New York.  I'd go to the Met for opera and to the Avery Fisher Hall for concerts on alternate weeks.  Then, I'd eat in one of those nice eateries on Columbus Avenue after my night out .

Best of luck with your intended move, Dragon!

Norman, I posted a message specially for you on the Carol Concert thread.  Did you see it?  It's about the new Messiah on CD with the Britten Sinfonia.  Superb playing and singing.

Where north of the Rhine would you recommend BTW?

Edit:  also a message for you on the Lost in Translation thread.  Go look!

Sweet 17 now you can see the difference between us valley folk and those born on the SW coasts or in the Vale of Glamorgan area in that my musically tastes and in no particular order.

Dame Shirley

Tom Jones

BB King

Eric Clapton

Rory Gallaher

Bruce Springsteen

Bob Dylan and

Leonard Cohen