French Estate Agents

Angie

We have a building plot for sale (attached to our property) and approached an estate agent in our nearest town.  He has quoted us 3,000 euros to sell the land which I suppose is about the going rate but when I asked what I get for this fee he said he would "put pictures of the land on his website".  Is this really all I should expect for such a sum, if so, I could probably do the same myself!  Do French estate agents not ring round or do mailshots like they do in the UK?  Or maybe this particular guy is just lazy.  I assume it is the norm for agents to accompany prospective purchasers and not just give them the address and expect them to look around a plot themselves?  I am going to try other agents in other towns but any advice/experience would be much appreciated as we have not sold previously in France.

From what I've seen of French agents, they are a joke. Have no clue about presenting a property, no idea about marketing and even when they have a 90% dead cert sale, they run at a snails pace.

I'm not really sure what the point in them is and how they can operate so inefficiently.

I know there would be some very professional agents out there, but my experience in the sticks is very negative.

We are in a similar position - the first agent we approached could not make a decision on price - puttting off the day when he had to  - 'wait for the full plans'; ' wait for the full permis de construire'; 'wait for the eight week delai' etc; we went to a different agent who seemed much more on the case - but, we have had to ask him to list the property on his website - although promised weeks ago - and asked him if he could be proactive with his local builder clients - it is quite a unique (if small) plot within the curtilage of a 'protected' village. Although he seemed enthusiastic, I wonder if he really believes his own valuation  - or whether he is just humouring us. I plan to list on one or two other sites myself - just to be doing something....PB

Even if you do go to an agent without giving him/her "Exclusive rights",you can put your own board up with details and phone number on.Then the buyer has only Notaire's fees to pay. It is a big help if the land has been "Borned" by a Geometre if there are any changes to the Cadastre plan.

• 1 month later...

[quote user="Richard"]From what I've seen of French agents, they are a joke. Have no clue about presenting a property, no idea about marketing and even when they have a 90% dead cert sale, they run at a snails pace.

I'm not really sure what the point in them is and how they can operate so inefficiently.

I know there would be some very professional agents out there, but my experience in the sticks is very negative.
[/quote]

Only plus point, as I see it, Richard, is if they have a local presence, you get your picture in their window.

It's still the case that "lazy" would-be buyers just go look at an estate agent's window instead of doing some initial research via websites!

We have both bought and sold in the UK and in France only using private vendors/sites.  Plan to do it again when we sell our present place.

Don't forget, you can always put up an "à vendre" sign outside your property together with a telephone number though we have had people simply knock on the door and ask to be shown around.