But to get out of paying you would have to make a conscious decision to lie as there is now an assumption that you have a TV unless you write and prove otherwise. However, it may be that if a TV is taken to your place from UK for a very short period then there is no liability. Theoretically, it can be detected if left in the house, I believe, though I have only ever heard of detectors once in France.

I suspect like me you have rcently recieved your habitation tax demand ....and the sight of the 116 euros  that is tacked onto it  is irritating you a bit as its a lot to pay for a weeks viewing ...... You have the answer ...get rid of telly...make declaration you have done so....or like the rest of us who have holiday homes ....regardless of how often we use them .... if we view ...and like you have been doing ...we pay..... so just make out the cheque and smile !

I wonder how they can detect  a TV in a house unless they use some type of xray machine that can see through the walls, dont they have to prove your actually watching a tv in a house like in the uk or do they just have to prove theres a tv in the house using some kind of very expensive machine in a big van that costs lots of money to use, my tv might not even work now its been in that damp room for a year, If the really expensive highly sophiscated xray machine works out that the tv doesnt even work then it would be a bonus 

[quote user="woody2122"]Do I really need a tv licence in france when its a holiday home and its out in the middle of the countryside and I only go there for a week in the summer, ive paid for the last 5 years when I brought a TV from the supermarket they take down your address[/quote]

I'll guess you're hoping for a stimulating debate with this post, as am I when I ask how most posters would feel if this question had been asked by an immigrant TO the UK?

[quote user="woody2122"]Do I really need a tv licence in france when its a holiday home and its out in the middle of the countryside and I only go there for a week in the summer, ive paid for the last 5 years when I brought a TV from the supermarket they take down your address[/quote]

Hi Woody ,

if,as you say , you are only occupying the house for one week and the house is empty for the other 51 weeks then , why not build a brick wall instead of watching tv.

[quote user="LEO"]

Hi Woody ,

if,as you say , you are only occupying the house for one week and the house is empty for the other 51 weeks then , why not build a brick wall instead of watching tv.[:D][:D]

[/quote]

Or he could even go back and thank the 6 people who bothered, but won't again,  to respond to his question about the "brick" wall to be built in concrete.[:P]

I don't know what you're watching for your one week per year but whether it's Satellite or terrestrial if you decided to declare that you didn't have a TV then it would be advisable to take any aerials down in case somebody thought you were fibbing [;-)]

You could get one of THESE and use a TV card in a PC or Laptop.

When house hunting we used one but with a proper Sky box and a 17" LCD display which doubled as a TV and it was quite easy to set up although the size of dish would make it marginal in some areas.

[quote user="carole in La Fete"]I agree, IF you view you pay.  We have a TV but it does not recieve a signal,  we haven't even tried.   We just use the TV to watch videos or dvd's.  We have been paying the licence fee but can we request not to pay on the basis we don't receive broadcasts??[8-)][/quote]

Theoretically if you remove/disable the receiver parts of the TV so that it cannot decode broadcasts then you no longer have a TV and could rightly declare that thus avoiding the tax.

In practice why don't you ditech the TV and  buy a separate screen with SCART connection but no receiver - then your perfectly legal

rgds

hagar

Thankyou everyone and ron for their help on this question, I am going to pay for the TV licence because I have a dish on the wall which means I can recieve a signal, and I dont want to mess around taking it down then trying to tune it in when I put it back on the wall, so when I go to the house again im going to build a wall with bricks and mortar and watch sky tv all in the same week.