One off transfer from UK

Chancer

I say one off, no doubt I will do it again but rarely, maybe once or twice a year.

To date I have lived quite comfortably without using my French bank account, I did everything with my NW card but now of course there are charges involved.

I now have a new French bank and a carte bleue so want to transfer £1000 or perhaps £1500 from my Flex account, at least now it is relatively easy to do but there is a charge of £25, which will probably be recouped in the course of spending the funds by avoiding the purchase charges and cashcard withdrawal fees.

My questions are:

If I do a Swift transfer with NW will it be at the mid market rate or the lower rate which they use for debit card payments/cash withdrawals?

On a small sum like the above would there be any real saving by using one of the other services?

[quote user="Chancer"]On a small sum like the above would there be any real saving by using one of the other services? [/quote]

IMO you would still be better off using CF as you would be doing a national transfer, ie free, of your ££s from your Nationwide a/c to CF's Bank a/c in London, you doing the exchange, then paying CF 3€ to transfer the €€s to your new French Bank account. It means a tad more input on your part but should cost less.

Sue

[quote user="Théière"]Comparing the rates I think I did a tad better with money bookers but their fee is €3.5[/quote]

Yes but ... I have hardly ever accepted the going rate with CF and have always opted for the 'better rate requested'. Which means that a short while after posting my required rate on the € board someone matches it and I end up with a better rate ie more €€s for my ££s which more than covers the 3€ transfer out fee.

Sue