Bretagne weather

Val 2,

If you are replying to dwmcn, you will notice that we take our vacations in late June-early July when Eurocamp prices are lower, and we stay in a Eurocamp tent, not a mobile home. Yes, we can afford a holiday, but are retired and not rich. I wouldn't go to Spain if you paid me. I'd rather be in rain in France.

[quote user="dwmcn"]It rained most of the two weeks we were in Brittany this year in June-July (2012) on a campsite near Nevez. But then, it probably rained all that time in England as well. Next year, Dordogne.[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that you had a wet holiday.

I've noticed on the TF1 weather forecast over the past few years that poor spells of summer weather often extend across much of France as a diagonal band running from the south west to the north east, and often include the whole Atlantic coast and certainly the Dordogne. Sometimes only the Mediterranean coast and sometimes only the Riviera escaped.

Unfortunately a two week holiday is just a snapshot of a climate.

If you check the 2012 weather record for the Dordogne you'll find that it rained on 15 days in June and 14 days in July and whilst it was not very heavy it is an indication of the prevailing weather.

The record for Vannes in south Morbihan show that it rained somewhat harder for 18 days in June and15 days in July.
http://tinyurl.com/boldvxy

The area where we live in south east Morbihan enjoyed almost uninterrupted sunshine from mid July until last weekend and all our gite guests during the UK school holidays had a wonderful time.

I don't want to encourage you not to come to France, but don't write off Spain - away from the well known resorts there are wonderful towns and villages that rival anything that France has to offer and the historic sites are fabulous.

Steve

Steve, We holiday in France nearly every year from near Calais to Annecy to Dordogne to Loire to Brittany to Normandy (did I forget any place...), so must expect some bad weather. We went to a campsite nearish to Calais, a bit south of St Valery,  for a week in early September at a reduced rate and it only rained once, during the night. It has been a bad summer in GB as well.