Bretagne weather

Hello

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like living in Brittany. Do you get the same weather as the south of England? I expect somewhere like Quimper, is probably warmer in summer than perhaps St Malo? Is there a big difference weather wise between the two coastlines throughout the year?

Sweetpeas

We have holidayed in mid winter and summer. We honestly didn't notice any difference in temperature between the north and south in mid summer and we have often camped in Brittany, moving on every few days.

Winter was cold in St Malo, but it was very cold everywhere. Val who used to post on here used to reckon that there was an area in the north of Brittany that was very mild in winter, I think she was Morlaix way.

I have never lived in the south of England, so couldn't compare. I love Brittany, and if we could have afforded a pied a terre anywhere in France, it would have been northern Brittany.

Having spent time in Brittany in all seasons, I did notice a difference between the northern and southern coasts.  If I were to move to Brittany for the weather, I'd go to Morbihan for the climate.  But, if it's for food and culture, I'd go to St Malo or perhaps Dinan which is in Cote Amor.

I'd not entertain Finnistere because it is just so wet.

In the other thread about the best French departments to live in, I understand that Ille et Villaine comes out third (that's without checking!) so that will still be St Malo.

Hi there

Thanks for the replys

We love the south Charente weather but we have decided we want to move again. I've always wanted to live by the coast and now could be the time. We love the Devon/Cornwall coastline so Brittany would be the answer as we want to stay in France. Just not sure about the weather though

Anyway thanks again

Sweetpeas

Here in Morbihan when it rains it rains,but on the whole the weather is ok.We have had good weather the last few days but there are rumours of snow.I agree that in Finnistere it can be wet.I had a mobile home at Pont Aven for 7 years prior to moving here.It did seem to be very wet on times whilst on holidays.I did live in Kent at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
We have a water restriction still in force here in NW Finistère, no decent rainfall for months and months,so deffo not wet at the moment. Yesterday and today it is so mild again, we have raspberries still ripening and the summer flowers are all coming out again. The only downside here is the strong winds and gales from October to March although we do get them in summer as well, the problem with a peninsula jutting out in the Atlantic,the Irish sea and the Channel. I have not yet lit my stove nor used any electric heating (good for my finances) and hope not to do so for a while to come,but then the house walls are over a metre thick and very well insulated which are a necessity here. Snow is also as rare as hens teeth inour neck of the woods, usually its further to the east and southern parts towards Nantes. There are no regular weather patterns and after 22 years here,we still get different each year.

Yes, we had a shower too about teatime yesterday but not enough to soak the ground very much. The water reserves are still pretty low for the capacity required, so the restrictions still rest although it may depend on your area and holding basins. Forecast is for 16°C again today and tomorrow, so getting all the washing out on the line to dry again.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...