Insurance for travel cancellation

Chrissie

We have just booked a rather expensive cruise on the Canal du Midi.[:D]  Obviously any health problems during the holiday would be covered by our usual cover and mutuelle, but I want to be sure we are covered against any need to cancel owing to sudden health problems or family crises etc.  A cancellation less than 90 days before the start of the trip would result in no refund whatsoever.  Am planning to talk to our insurance man today, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations for specific travel insurers that would cover our needs?

Chrissie (81)

Did you pay with a French credit card? If so, have a long hard look at the blurb that you have with the card (or check up on the bank's website). You may be surprised to discover the extent of cover that you may have from the card.

For several years we have used a German company, ERV (Europäische Reiseversicherung). I am over 70 and my wife is not far behind.  Currently we pay 177 euros for two people for a full year's cover (no limit on the number of trips), and that includes unlimited medical costs and unlimited geographical cover (no exclusion for the USA). 

I believe that their policies can be "tailored", e.g. if you just want

cancellation cover and nothing else, they have a tariff for that.

Their

standard policy contains a 20% deductible on cancellation claims, which

I think is reasonable.  Their other deductibles are mostly fixed

amounts, quite modest even on medical claims.

Last year we had our first experience of a claim, which of course is the real test of an insurer.  We had to cancel at the last minute because of a medical problem.  The claim was handled perfectly.  They asked (quite reasonably) for various documents, including a note from my doctor, and they said the claim would be paid within 15 days of getting the documents.  And it was.

Until recently I would have said that you probably have to speak German to deal with them – at least to understand the policy conditions – but I notice that they now have a subsidiary in the UK, and if they follow similar standards then I would recommend them strongly.

Their websites are: in Germany, www.erv.de; in the UK, www.erv.co.uk.

Good luck!

The problem with free travel insurance provided with some credit and debit cards is that it can be inflexible and it does not usually cover you if you have any pre-existing conditions or recent medical history, so if you have high blood pressure or cholesterol for example you might find that this sort of cover is useless as the insurance cannot be customised to individual needs. Also look out for restrictions that require the tickets to have been purchased by the credit card providing the travel insurance cover and upper age restrictions.

Sorry to take so long to get back to all of you with your helpful replies. 

I found that our house insurance has an option to cover cancellation of holidays - but the max reimbursement is 1000 euros.  I tried several online sites but many only insure UK residents or under 70s.  I will keep looking on the web, but of course, there are many firms offering to sell insurance but not necessarily willing to pay up in the event......        Your site AllanB, was very good and now has a dedicated site for French nationals so I got a quote from them - they also didn't seem to balk at the fact that one of the party would be aged over 80, so I think we will end up going with them.  

Thanks again

Chrissie (81)