CH-vignette

I had always rather fancied having something like that in France. An autoroute vignette, as we used to spend a lot of money on autoroutes in France.

Never seemed a lot about 30€ a year and we often used to get it back anyway if we were flying from Geneva Airport. I know we got reductions, although I am unsure as to whether the Haute Savoyards got these.

Is this really a problem? There are plenty of other roads to use in Switzerland, [Www] just got to remember that the 'blue signs' are route nationale and the 'green signs' are the autoroute........ I know I have got them mixed up in the past.

Apparently the price has remained the same for best part of 20 years and along with the 150% hike they are introducing a cut price (relatively) 2 month vignette for CF40, ironically enough the exact price of the current one !

Seemingly though it's not a done deal. From what I can unearth the rise to CF100 has been proposed by one body of the Swiss parliament but has to be passed back for approval to the other which itself had proposed a more modest CF30 rise.

I wonder if they have really thought it through as it could drive a lot off the motorways causing massive congestion and increased pollution, still they are only gnomes [:D][:D][:D].

At least in Austria you can buy limited passes, minimum 10 days for €8,

still a rip off if you are just touching the country for 1/2 hour on the

way out of Germany back to France.

Pierre ZFP, which direction would that be from?

We were always coming from direction Annecy and as the rest of the motorway wasn't finished would get off at Allonzier la Caille (wonderful bridge there) and then just after a big night club called Macumba, would be able to pick up the french motorway that joined the swiss motorway. Once these charges had started, the swiss border people never ever ever checked our passports, just checked to see if we had a vignette, and if we hadn't, sell us one! We had a choice though to avoid the motorways and could have gone to St Julien etc and through Geneva to get to the airport.

It was never ever free and they made sure that we paid.

Since the motorway has been fully open from the south of Geneva, I have only ever caught the train.

EDIT AnOther, it looks like it may be possible from the west, to get off the french autoroutes and then get to the airport on D roads, especially as Geneva Airport is on the border. Is that where you meant  PierreZPF?

Yes, I was thinking of the approach from the West, from Lyon.  It seems from the link above (thank you AnO) that you can get to the airport without going on the Autoroute and so no vignette.  Handy for me as I need to pick up my son's girlfriend from Geneva and then carry on further into France, it seemed like a waste of CHF40 just to do that.

PierreZFP, so, yes, you'll be able to do that from the west. Does it really matter anyway. You can just use the normal roads, it isn't obligatoire to use the motorways in Switzerland, the other roads are perfectly fine. Last time we went in convoy and didn't use the motorway to get to and from the airport. The details/directions on that info are pretty good and certainly from the south is the way we use when we don't use the motorway.

Which motorway will you be using as the A40 and A41 link at St Julien, south of Geneva, so you'd have to get off the A41 at maybe Bellegarde/s/Valserine and cut across on ordinary roads...........I've never cut across there.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Evianers"]For those living close to the CH border, beware that it is being mooted that the Vignette annual cost be increased from CHF40.-- to CHF100.-- in 2014/2015 - how about that for inflation?!!!

[/quote]

I presume that there is no update to this story for the time being ...

Would I be right in assuming that the price of the vignette in 2013 will remain unchanged?

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Evianers"]For those living close to the CH border, beware that it is being mooted that the Vignette annual cost be increased from CHF40.-- to CHF100.-- in 2014/2015 - how about that for inflation?!!!

[/quote]

Would I be right in assuming that the price of the vignette in 2013 will remain unchanged?

[/quote]

AFAIK, the increase is being brought in as from 1 January 2014 - the Swiss Government are characteristically taking time to make up their minds. Perhaps there will be one of the usual Referenda on this? The alternative is a price hike to CHF70.--. I shall post again when I know something definite [we live 11 kms from the border]!!

[quote user="Evianers"][quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Evianers"]For those living close to the CH border, beware that it is being mooted that the Vignette annual cost be increased from CHF40.-- to CHF100.-- in 2014/2015 - how about that for inflation?!!!

[/quote]

Would I be right in assuming that the price of the vignette in 2013 will remain unchanged?[/quote]

AFAIK, the increase is being brought in as from 1 January 2014 - the Swiss Government are characteristically taking time to make up their minds. Perhaps there will be one of the usual Referenda on this? The alternative is a price hike to CHF70.--. I shall post again when I know something definite [we live 11 kms from the border]!![/quote]

Ta muchly!

[quote user="Evianers"][quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Evianers"]For those living close to the CH border, beware that it is being mooted that the Vignette annual cost be increased from CHF40.-- to CHF100.-- in 2014/2015 - how about that for inflation?!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

AFAIK, the increase is being brought in as from 1 January 2014 - the Swiss Government are characteristically taking time to make up their minds. Perhaps there will be one of the usual Referenda on this? The alternative is a price hike to CHF70.--. I shall post again when I know something definite [we live 11 kms from the border]!!
[/quote]

Being so close to the border, do you need a vignette, do you not know all the little routes into Switzerland

[quote user="idun"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed we do! Like the proverbial backs of our hands.

Only problem is............. there tend to be one or two very large bumps in the way periodically

Being so close to the border, do you need a vignette, do you not know all the little routes into Switzerland

[/quote]