cost of pasture land

Can anyone give me an idea of the price of pasture land in SW France. We wanted to buy some land but the farmer wanted 10,000 sterling for 3.5 hectars, it seemed very expensive to me. OR am I wrong???

10000 euro would probably be nearer the mark, but I stand to be corrected. As far as I remember 3 years ago we were quoted 2-3000 euro per hectare. However I think it also depends who you are - a local farmer might get it at a lower price. Pat.

One point, I'm sure most of you know, but be aware of clauses in the sale of land i.e. what the land can and cannot be used for - this is very important e.g. if it is horticultural land there may well be a clause saying that this land must remain so for 15 - 20 years - also there will need to be a very clear definition of what horticultural might mean, it could mean you cant even plant flowers on it.

Just a reminder.
Deby

Bearing in mind that much land in England is 3000 an acre and you are talking about over eight and a half acres and that the land around Villeneuve is VERY productive I think it is possible. Land for cropping, whether it be cereals , vegetables or fruit is worth much more than cattle country. What is growing in the next fields? I would imagine that much bare land is worth more in 47 than in 24, for instance, because it is so much more productive.
From someone married to a farmer for 30 years!! Oh, He's just come in and agrees and adds if there are good trees around the outside it shows it has a good depth of soil.
Thrilled to say we'll be there next week!!
Gill

• 3 weeks later...