Some good restaurants needed

Hi anyone

My husband and I are going to the Dordogne this weekend (celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary) and we are staying at a friends place in Sorges near Thieviers.  Can anyone recommend some good restaurants please.  We love everything - fish in particular.

Would appreciate any good recommendations for this area of the Dordogne and to keep us going while we are house hunting!

Paula

Hi,

Well for the best lunch you will eat from Mon-Fri, you have to go to the Moulin du Roc in Champagnac de Belair. (A few minutes from Brantôme) I can dig out the number if you want it. I have to say we have not been there for a few years but once frequented it often, friends say it is still excellent value. It is set in a glorious setting maybe not too wonderful in winter but the food will make up for that.

Price at lunchtime will be much cheaper than the evening but hey it is a 10th Anniversary ! Many of the good local restos may be closed at the moment but posssibly Charbonnel Fréres (Chabrol) may still be open on the bridge in Brantôme ? The Moulin de L'Abbaye used to shift the whole shabang up to the Alps in winter so doubt if that resto will be open in Brantôme?

Not sure if the Auberge at Varaignes (not too far from Nontron) is still good but certainly was very good.

La Marmite at St Jean de Cole is very close. We haven't been there yet so can't give a personal recommendation but it is always on the list of recommended restaurants in the local paper.

Also can personally recommend Le Moulin du Pont at Lisle, not surprisingly set right on the river - If you're interested I'll check they haven't closed for the winter season (e-mail me).

Le Vieux Frène on the route d'Angouleme at Ribérac. Excellent buffet starter, including fresh seafood & shellfish.